Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

Heres my problem. I've got an 83 Pontiac Parisienne (not much of a hot rod, but its the best i can do :) ) and my front driver side power window is stuck down.

I opened it all the early this morning, trying to wipe some of the dew off of the windows, but it would not come back up at all, and i cant hear any sounds of the motor coming on.

All the other windows still work fine, so my first instict was that the switch was no good. I'll have to check it out once school is over. Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas or suggestions. Thanx!

·
Super Moderator
18,351 Posts
Chances are it's the switch, but 80s GMs also were bad for the window motor seizing. Remember, that the wiring is over 20 years old and with the good old northern winters that we have, it is probably corroded up pretty good.

Only way to really tell is to pull the door panel and have a look.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hey before you start taking things apart try this first, bang on the inside of the door with your fist, kinda hard and this will probably free it up, works for me all the time, hope it does for you also

·
Registered
22 Posts
slam the door

I have the same problem with my Chevy van. I open and close the door on the drivers side fairly hard and some times it frees it up. Also if you can get to the plug on the motor they some times fall off. (That is the problem I have on the passenger side):smash:

·
Registered
559 Posts
My vote is on the wiring at the switch !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well.....

I took the panel off and was testing the switch. Unfourtunately, the motor does get power from the switch....

I'm definitely gonna try slamming the door and banging on everything in sight to try to get it goin again.....but i guess i'll end up buying a new motor from somewhere.

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the power window/motor assembly? Keep in mind that the window is fully down right now. I used to change the power window motors in volkswagons, and I can tell you that they are much more accessable than this one seems to be! Oh well, I'm sure that I'll get it out eventually, better get the drill batteries charged and the sledgehammer ready to go....

Thanx guys!

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
window

Doc here:pimp:

Check the window and see if it isn't canted in the window frame, that would lock up the motor.

Also on the window regulator, there are plastic bushings that can become worn, and bind. Check those.

Try some penetrating oil on the regulator gears and linkages and manually try to raise the window a little, then try power.

If all else fails, Remove the glass with the 2 circlips, and loosen the rear rail mounts, unbolt the regulator and it should come right out..(older GM type)

Hope it helps!

Doc:pimp:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yahoo!

Well, I went out to the car this morning and was happy to see that nobody had tried to steal the car during the night (I guess i can thank the ugliness of the car for that one :) ). I wasnt looking forword to driving to school with the window down, so I slammed the door as hard as I could and VOILA!! Window goes up just fine! Phew!

Thanks alot everyone for your suggestions, I really apprechiate it.

Now I'm going to have to start looking into my alternator problems.......if its not one thing its another........oh well.

Thanx again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like to use my heel to hit the window switch on my monte carlo when it won't go up..... always works.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Trust me, now that you know where the motor is,(since taking off the panel) Each time it doesn't work just bang with the side of your hand right on the motor itself and guartanteed it will work everytime, good luck, Dana

·
Registered
14 Posts
Still more power

On my 76 GP. The driver side master switchs will get both windows down. I put up the Driver side just fine. BUUUUUUTTTTTTT the other side will NOT go up. Weird that it will take it down but not up.
Randy

PS Tried replacing master passinger swicth same thing.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Binding

Check for mechanical binding in the window track and regulator on the up side.

Look for warn plastic bushings on the regulator...

Usually a little grease will end your nightmares...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Just had this exact problem with my Toyota pickup last week. I took out the entire electric/mechanical apparatus - but it turned out to be totally due to bad switches. Actually, just corroded switches. On my Toy, at least, these switches are very easy to access - so that is where I'd start whenever this problem occurs. I took the switches out, opened them up, sanded down all the contact points, and now everything works great. I did the door locks and the side mirror while I was in there just to save some future grief.

Oh, and be very careful when you open up these switch boxes. There are lots of little springs and contact plates that will fall out. Don't ask me how I know. I spent an hour on my hands and knees going over my garage floor in search of a 1/4" spring.

Dewey

·
Registered
160 Posts
My girlfriend has a problem in her 1994 Camaro....

lol.. and I never saw this happen before....

the window rubber's...-- u know, the rubber strips that run along where window meets door panel? to keep out the draft I suppose, one in, one out?

The damn thing is so tight against the window it pevents it from going down sometimes. I think the window is on track correctly cuz it goes up fine and it's water tight and sounds good when closed.. just... those rubbers are so damn tight.. in the summer when the car has been baking in the sun all day, and these things get warm, then it works like a dream....

Probably a pain in the butt to change those isn't it? And we know the dealer's gonna want 99.99 for it

as for a 1994 camaro by the way
if anyone has the switch for the power window and door lock for the passenger side, and wants to sell it, PM me on here.. i might buy one for her... well, for me, since I'm on that side of her car and can't control the damn window.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
switch

Go to Napa, Kragen or Autozone...They have those replacement switches on the "HELP" tree for $19.00

As for Those tight window Striping, spray them down good with armorall...and do so every few months...(don't get it on the window...it's a pain to wash off..)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Doc, FYI, I found recently that when I get armorall on a window..... i just keep wiping it with a rag and nothing else...

on one occasion i was armoralling the dash of this camaro and got it on the windshield.... -- what's up with these cars and their 2 foot deep dashboards??!

Anyway I had nothing to clean it off with so i kept wiping it and scrubbing that armorall..... and it came off to my surprise.. just gotta add some elbow grease.

previously it had proved to be a pain in the butt.. but.. now, i dont think so anymore. seems simple <grin>

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
ArmorAll

I quit using armorall (except as rubber lube) For just that reason, and it suspends Grit so well, It shines like brand new sandpaper after a few days:pain:

It does work well to expand old rubber seals , Like door, trunk or window seals after years of drying up and shrinking.

But It's just a nightmare on paint, Rims, and glass...Besides, I found Some "unnamed stuff" from my local detail shop, that they use, It's great, and lasts for months, even on tires...and isn't greasy like armorall!:D

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Doc, may I suggest transmission fluid?

Great to make black rubber look wet, great on tires and the dashboard.....

JUST DON'T TOUCH IT!!

lol

--What is this no name stuff you're using?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
unknown

This Stuff, looks like liquid wax, kinda of white and creamy, but dissipates when you apply it. works real well!

They won't tell me what it is...I guess so I'll keep buying it from them...

Doc :pimp:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts