Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... i've had a couple posts lately, about vaccum door locks and digital gauges, and you guys really seem knowledgable.. now i'm onto a new question :)

i bought my tbird with 1 1/4 window not working and the other 1/4 window working really slow.. so i'm testing the system out, and find out that i have a new screwdriver and one missing power window motor (that would explain why it doesnt work :)
What i am wondering is I pulled the opposite power window to find a part number on it and came up with C4SF 14552 H or II (not sure which one) it also has Mo 581089A stamped on it also
it has a 9 tooth gear with 3 bolts which attach it to the power window assembly

it looks identical to this motor
http://www.1aautomotive.com/pics/plp/PLP1330200OS.jpg
but it doesn't have the hole that is at the top of the screen it has a hole for a bolt to go through at the same spot as the one on the bottom of the screen.

now most likely they aren't the same motor because of this fact and the fact that the site i pulled that from says 67 - 71 tbirds.

what i'm wondering is if anyone has a way of telling me what other cars used this motor so that i could possibly go to a wrecking yard and find this motor instead of paying $100 for a rebuilt one and then getting dinged the $100 core charge? (which is the going price at most of the "tbird suppliers")

thanks for any help/insight you can give me

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Those are universal Ford power window motors used in a gazillion cars from the 60s to the 80s. They are great for street rodders 'cause the gear pitch is identical to the pitch of 99% of the window riser mechanisms in old cars. Thus all you need to do is cut off the manual window riser handle and weld on a bracket for one of these puppies and Voila! power windows for a $10 junk yard motor! Here is a photo shoot on how I did just that on my '53 Chevy pickup.

Th only differences over the years is which bosses they used for the bolts. Go get one off any 60s-70s Ford at your Pick-A-Part and it will work by drilling and tapping the proper hole if it isn't open. One caution; as shown in my journal the three nylon drive rollers are usually disintegrated so the gear won't turn. Don't know why that happens but they make replacement rollers. Hard to find but I bought a 50pack for my project so have many spares. If you need some drop me a line and I'll mail them to you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are some actual pics of the motor from my car... its a little bit different from your motor... but from the looks of it the nylon bushing is missing in mine... unless its underneath the round housing under the gear

but i should be able to use any power window motor from the 60's - 70s from a ford and adapt it to my needs... thats some really good news

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
Left and right motors are different and wont interchange from side to side, but like willys said they are mostly the same for all Ford/ Linc/Merc cars and trucks. Lincolns use the 9 tooth drive. There is an easy fix for the plastic bushings, or rollers. You can pick up six 1/4" nuts and replace the rollers with 2 nuts in each place where the 3 crushed rollers used to be. Then force the gear back in the drive and install the cover. I have fixed many cars using this method without ever a problem. Of course clean out the broken plastic and install new grease in the housing.

Thats the early style motor you have with the 3 wire connector. and the 9 tooth gear. If you can turn the 9 tooth gear with a pair of pliers and it slips then the bushings are bad. Pry up on the 9 tooth gear to remove in and you will see the 3 bushings under it. If it doesnt slip dont remove it because they are hard to reinstall, its a force fit. Very common problem and easy to fix for about 12 cents.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help you guys... this is some really good news, because i was not looking forward to forking out $200 u.s. for 1 rebuilt motor. i was almost at the point where i was going to reinstall my newly aquired screwdriver to its window retaining position.

but now its gonna be off to the wrecking yard instead... i know of a couple of lincolns and ford trucks at the local pick-apart that i can rummage through... yay :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts