Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Drive it like a rental!
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PPG DC3000 will not dry/won't harden. Here's the details:
I sprayed my door jams, under hood, and inside pickup box last week with Eastwood base followed with the DC3000.

Mixed the DC 3000 with DCH3085 at 4:1, what i have left over makes me believe I did this right.

Garage paint booth so when I sprayed the clear things got very hard to see (I use a supplied fresh air setup so I was safe). So flash time and second coat coverage was difficult to get right.

I've had the DC3000 on a shelf in my garage for years but this is the first time using it. Hardener was fresh.

Some parts or great, while other areas are very sticky and leave a finger print easily.

What did I do wrong? Not mixed enough? Bad clear? Timing on second coat wrong?

What do I do now? Very frustrated and tired of body work!

Thank you for any help,
Rick

·
True Hotrodder
1,327 Posts
Time. Patience. Just let it sit, since you said some of it did okay I would give it the additional time. Right now unless you want to strip everything off and go again, it's the best option I believe.

·
Drive it like a rental!
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did rub some acetone on an out of the way section. Seemed to help and my rag showed some of the base color. I would assume that if I did that on a large area, i would have to scuff the basecoat and re clear.

Right now I have more time than money so will leave it sit in the sun.

Thank you.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Bad clear, possible. Either clear or hardener can have bad batches too. Never hurts to check your can's #s (on bottom) and check for recalls. Rare but wouldn't that bring peace of mind?

Not mixed well sounds like it from the description. If you were mixing small batches like a cupful or two, one got botched. If you mixed a larger batch, say half gallon, it may have needed more stirring between refills.

If you "open it up" with fine sandpaper and keep it in sun, OK but once it is cured, its cured. Or never will be. But I worked painting in a bake booth a couple years buffing my own work and I know that while the heat dries the paint, its the cooldown that prepares it for life as a paint job.

If it goes through a few day/night cycles and still fingernails, not fingerprints... all the soft stuff has to come off. Can't trust any of it. Sorry. If color comes off with solvent, thats no good any way you slice it

Reclearing would likely result in lifting when the solvent hits a featheredge. Be up to you whether the risk is worth it.

Don't let it get to you. Car paint has SO many opportunities for error and inherent booby traps, its just silly and the world may never know what went wrong.:drunk:

Best of luck with it.

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,392 Posts
This is the 2nd thread we've had in the past few days about clear coat not hardening...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts