Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on restoring an old pickup and attempting to paint it myself. So far doing filler work and priming has gone good. I am now down to basecoat and clear coat. I have read and watched several videos where some will sand between basecoat and clear as others will not. Appears sanding helps get rid of blemishes and orange peel? Reading PPG tech data on the items below it does not mention it, just says I have 30 min to 24 hours to get the clear on. So should I or should I not sand the basecoat prior to clear?

Using the following:
Omni MBC Acrylic Basecoat
Omni MC250 Urethane Clearcoat

·
Registered
181 Posts
You have a recoat window between the base and clear application,if you apply the clear during that time,sanding is not necessary UNLESS you booger up the basecoat or if you wait to long to apply the clear.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! and to fix that booger I would sand it out, reapply basecoat to the whole area and then clear coat? NO clearcoat over ANY sanded base, only over fresh basecoat?

·
Registered
895 Posts
That is correct. Any sanding will show.
That depends. On a dark solid color, sand away. But on a light color, and especialy metallic do not sand. What shows on dark solid colors is failure to get the surface 100% clean of any sanding residue. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts