Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
http://www.buickstreet.com

http://www.buickpartsdirectory.com

here are a couple links that may come in handy.

Even if parts arent available for hopping up the old straight 8, there are a few things you can do to make it run a little better.
Again, I wouldnt turn it over 5000 rpm at the most, due to its fragility, and massive internal weight, and long crankshaft. Long cranks in Inline 6's and 8's have a lot of problems with harmonics at high rpm, causing them to crack real easy and that gets expensive.
You might see if you can get someone to fab a set of headers or at least 'split" your exhaust manifold. Some porting will help, as well as milling the head a little to get some decent compression.
If you are really hard core about it, you might contact one of the older cam companies, Schnieder, Isky, Erson, Clay Smith, or Crane, about regrinding your stock cam and adding maybe 10 degrees duration to it as well as a little lift.
Been ages since I saw one of those so not up to speed for what they had for a carburetor. Its possible you could put a newer 2 bbl on it from a later engine like a 350 chevie.
With all that you might be able to make it move respectfully.

Were it my engine, I would clean it up and get it running then use it for a museum piece.
On second thought about max rpm, I would not turn over 4500.

Were it my engine, I would clean it up and get it running then use it for a museum piece.
On second thought about max rpm, I would not turn over 4500.
IF I remember correctly, they didnt turn more than about 3800 rpm from the factory.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys,thanks for the replies.No spinn,Im not building a freight train....lol.I am building a 28 tudoor ford,and it is defiantly gonna be different.Thanks for the tip Max Keith,Im not gonna be doing any drag racing with it so I don't think the R.P.M. prob is gonna be a factor.I am gonna fab. up my own intake and headers so maybe that will be enough.Any more info would be helpful,so,keep it coming.Thanks:evil:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Couple of things:
Some 1952 and 53 straight 8 buicks came with a 4 barrel carb. The manifolds are still out there and will take a square flange carb.
Some early 40's Buicks came with two two barrel carbs, and these manifolds are still out there. They will take a pair of 2 GC's if you drill and tap two additional mounting holes.
Some late 30-early 40's Buicks came from the factory with a dual out let exhaust manifold (How cool is that?) There are some of those still out there...
There were some 5 carb manifolds made by the after market in the late 40's early 50's. They take 5 three bolt flage carbs (Like a stromberg 97). I have seen one or two of these at swap meets in the past year or so. I had a 5 carb manifold on my GMC that was made by McGurk. I made block off plates so that I could run three carbs.
If you have never heard a straight eight with dual exhausts, you have never lived..They have the most unique sound. I had a 48 ragtop with a spilt manifold and 26" glasspacks...It was awesome !!!
There are a couple of Bonneville racers using straight 8 Buicks. I suspect that the www.scta-bni.org website can lead you to them.
I sold a bunch of Buick stuff to a guy about 5 years ago that included a 4 barrel manifold, a 2X2 manifold and a factory dual outlet manifold. If I find his name and number, I will PM it to you.
and one final thing; Advance Adapters used to make an adapter that would allow the straight 8 to be mated to a late model trans...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.