Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm in the process of restoring a 64 oldsmobile jetstar. The chrome has peeled off the back bumper and it has been sitting outside rusting for many years. I took it to a plating shop and they said it would be a lot of prep work to get it good enough to rechrome. They're concern is pitting in a few areas. There is surface rust over approximately 50% of the bumper. In some areas there are small pits. The pits don't seem too deep, maybe 1/16". I realize this is going to be hard to diagnose since you can't see the shape it's in. My question is: how much work is involved in getting metal smooth enough to rechrome? If I use an angle grinder with a sanding pad, I'm pretty sure I can remove the remaining chrome, surface rust, and the small pits. I have more time than money, but am I getting in over my head? The metal is definately thick enough to remain strong after the surface rust is gone.

[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: dh79 ]</p>

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Its enough work for plating shops to say they won't do it. That'salotta work to get it perfect for chrome, but it can be done, just take your time and use a flat surface when smothing, never use the edge of the sander. Just like bodywork, the straighter and smoother it is the better it will look in chrome. Your goal is a distortionless reflection after chroming so take your time.

HK

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Have you taken the bumper to a Bumper Exchange? This is a shop which just does bumpers, they straighten them and plate them(or have them plated). The cost is substantially less than a decorative chrome job and is equal to OEM quality. I have found it a good idea to paint the inside of the bumper with a good quality primer and finish paint also. Most plating failures on bumpers originate on the back side at the "knife-edges", the corrosion starts at theedge and works its evil way to the face separating the chrome and nickle from the steel...blister-ville!

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Try another chrome shop. I have never heard one say a part is too rough to plate, especially bumpers for which there are shops that do nothing else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts