Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I''ts going take me some time to sand all the metal parts for my chassis. Is there a good way of protecting the sanded parts for a few months until they are painted? I was thinking of wrapping them in plastic and taping off any seams on the plastic to seal out the air. I don't have any painting equipment, so it will have to wait until I can beg, borrow, steal or rent. I'd like to get something done in the meantime and I could be sanding and getting everything prepped. I'd rather not wait until the last minute and try to do everything at once. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
The plastic will make it worse, causing condensation to build up.

How fancy do you want this chassis to be?. You could get an epoxy primer and brush it on. That would seal it properly.

·
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I do want a nice smooth finish, so I don't think brushing is the way to go. Maybe there is a coating that can be easily removed when I'm ready. I know when I bought new valves, they had like a sticky surface on them that I cleaned off. They were sealed in plastic.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I think Poncho meant the brush on primer as a temporary fix. When you have the correct equipment, you can sand down the primer and you are ready to go with your nice, smooth primer and finish coats.

You could also rattle can some good quality primer on it each day as you are working.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Metal Ready is a POR product that forms a zinc coating usually becomes white-ish. I use it before putting down the POR paint.

·
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your replys. I was hoping to be able to coat everything with something that I can wipe off with prep when I'm ready to paint. The metal ready might work for what I want to do though too.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
WD40????????????????????????????:nono: :nono: :nono:

Troy

·
brains
1,009 Posts
Here is Florida we have alot of moisture, the best thing to do if you want to keep bare metal but dont want to paint yet is use Ospho. This is what I use and it protects the metal and removes rust. I kept my frame bare metal for almost 6months this way. You may need to spray it down once a week. This is perfect if you dont want to paint it now because of your still doing welding or designing.

Ben

·
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess what I was looking for is the stuff that comes on new rotors sometimes. It's like a varish or something and it's kind of sticky. Spray some brake cleaner on and it's washes away. No sanding and scrubbing or special chemicals to remove it. Maybe that's what Ospho is, I don't know, but what I've found so far is that is like a primer too.

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
Vinyl Wash ! it is applied to bare metal when you are ready to paint you can sand it , apply your primer, apply your filler, how ever you would like to prep out your car before paint . My husband and I do alot of restos and after we strip paint down to the bare metal we always give the bare metal a coat of vinyl wash to protect the metal if it has to sit for a prolong period of time . You can prime right over it .. Its really an easy product to work with too .. Splashes on quite nicely

Pup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts