I just let the bare metal sit or is there
something that will inhibit it from flash
rusting? Currently as I clean say a square
foot of it I am applying some rustoleum
primer just as prevention.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I didn't know this either...but primer sucks up water/moisture. Just a guess, it might be better to prime/seal and hit with a basecoat of the general color you plan on painting??

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
Sikkens sells a product called vinyl wash .. We stripped a malibu to the bare metal .. and splashed it with vinylwash coat.. it didnt rust and it sat for a year !

puppyciao
Kim

·
Registered
452 Posts
There is a product out that you use a very small electical charge through your car. You install two pads opposite end of the car. It will stop rust in its tracks. And the car will not develope any other rust in the future......I saw the product on a Hot Rod Show on Cable. Super trick setup for guys who live in damp climates , or someone trying to protect there investment......

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used a product from the Eastwood Co.called Metal Wash.It protected the bare metal on my 31 street rod for three weeks until I was ready to shoot the car with epoxy primer.The rustolium might not be compatable with what you plan to put on top of it,so plan ahead or you'll be removing the rustolium before you put down some good primer like an epoxy,recommended for bare metal.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
If the car or parts are inside and pretected from the elaments and not touched with sweaty hands. you should not have to put anything on untill your ready for primersealer. If it`s going to be exposed or set for a long time just apply a coat of primersealer. Just primer or filler primer is not waterproof and it will rust under it with long exposher. Epoxy sealer will last a long time when exposed. but it is hard to sand off and cost more. The epoxy sealer is the best sealer to use when your ready to paint, tint it the color of the paint. You can color sand it for a extra smooth job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
black66 said:
There is a product out that you use a very small electical charge through your car. You install two pads opposite end of the car. It will stop rust in its tracks. And the car will not develope any other rust in the future......I saw the product on a Hot Rod Show on Cable. Super trick setup for guys who live in damp climates , or someone trying to protect there investment......
hm that's interesting..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts