Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided to dig deep into my 31 chevy coupe.. there was and inch of bondo on the roof,along with some type of fiberglass paper,3 different pieces of metal and more bondo..so i started stripping..the whole car has bondo on it..and the funny part is that there is perfectly good metal underneath.....go figure....probably has about 100lbs(joking) on there.. i thougt it looked kinda chunky..ill post some pics when i can.. whats up with bondo?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Bondo was the majic answer for some guys back when...do some searches on metal finishing and try www.metalmeet.com for more info on metal work..I find I can now finish metal to be real close and only need to use a little bit of bondo..

Sam

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
Doesn't that stink! :pain:

It don't look terrible but, you just wana knock it down and fresh-n-it up and you open up a big-ol nasty can-a-worms! :evil: That is one of the things that drives me to do the best I can on every car. I never-ever wana have some-one say "Yah, that Color Me Crazy guy sure screwed-up this one!" Integrity #1

Well, you got what you got! So, rip all that stucco off, beat the metal into submissions and try to keep the filler to a minimum. Hopefully, you won't strip it down and find a bug body or a Pacer was molded and carved into your car. :D

Good Luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Bondo is still, and forever will be, the "majic elixir" for making so-so cars saleable for the maximum dollar, and really nice cars saleable for dollars beyond imagination. The pinnacle of this magician's power has been perfected over the last 30 years in the hot rod shops and restoration shops in sunny California. SO your car car is not so straight, so the door openings have slightly different gaps front and rear or left and right, so the deck lid seam is a little bigger left than right and top right than top left, so the hand of God the Father didn't make factory produced sheet metal absolutely perfect ... never fear, we can cure all these sins with BONDO, yes, good old plastic body filler, no matter the brand name,no matter the color(oh, color is so very important, now pink, now white, now blue, now yellow), no matter the source(now USA, now France, now Germany) one is in favor this year, another the next, just like paint. Just a lovely slight 1/2" skim coat should do it. No one will notice until after the sale, after, the auction, after they recive the car from the transport company...not to worry, it is the owner's problem now, not ours, after all it was perfect when, it left our shop!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well its not really "my" car till i get in there and see what im dealing with.. this guy was quite the cobbler, so i need to get in there and look at the welding on the chop job.. probably filler holding the top on.. :nono:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well update on the bondo 31 coupe, the roof had about 150lbs of metal and bondo filling it in.. 4 different pieces of sheetmetal..give me a break. all layered on top of one another.. and more bondo..ill get some pics of my progress soon...

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 49 Ford truck was the same. It had bondo on everything to get it smooth. They used 1/4" thick bondo on the fenders. Now it is cracking and has to come off or fall off LOL Looking on the inside of the fenders,there is no holes just minor dents. They didn't try to hammer them out!!! I have been useing a plumbers torch to heat the bondo to get it plyable to scrape off, With winter and the garage door shut,I don't want to sand it and eat all the dust. But it don't take long to fill a 55 gallon drum,that you can't move.If anyone knows of a better way to get the 5 gallons of bondo off,other than sanding,let us know. Taking for ever!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.