Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a little research and couldn’t come up with exactly what I was looking for, I plan on stripping the car to bare metal, epoxy primer, body filler, 2k primer, bc/cc in an almost royal blue (I don’t have the paint code at work with me). I have been told that you want your primer that’s just under your basecoat to be as close as possible to your basecoat color, so in my case this would be black, I was hoping to do my epoxy primer in black because I was thinking it would be easier to see the imperfections that I am trying to fix, I’m new to bodywork so I’m wondering what you guys are doing to make it easier to see those imperfections, I’m assuming I don’t want to spray black epoxy and then try to spray black 2k on top of that?
Another question is that I have been told to spray epoxy primer and then do body filler over the epoxy, can I also do body filler first and then epoxy, or will there be issues with the epoxy sticking to the filler? This question is a bit vague without all the details but for a rough guestimate, how many gallons of epoxy primer would I need to cover all body panels, the interior, and the underside of a 72 Nova? The primer I will be using is a 2 part 1:1. Again sorry if I’m a bit vague on this as I haven’t done much bodywork, I do plan on doing a lot of practice on spare panels I have laying around before I attempt to tackle my car.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I liked using black Epoxy under filler or gray primer because when Im sanding and blocking if I start seeing black showing through I know its a high spot and know when to stop. I personally noticed if I shot a couple of good coats of epoxy it would save me the headache of accidentally sanding through the epoxy and exposing bare metal again.
Once I had the metal, filler, and primer pretty straight then I went to the guide coat etc for final blocking

·
Registered
524 Posts
FYI test a small panel with the Royal blue under black then Royal blue over gray primer. I think you be happier with it over gray? but..... might be harder to shoot without tiger striping etc... than it would be over black? Just my opinion Im not very experience in full paint jobs and diffrent colors etc

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea that's a good idea, I guess I'll have to do a bit of experimenting and see what works best, I guess if the black works out better I could do black epoxy, gray 2k, black guide coat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.