Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any good primer in a can that i can use when doing small areas of body work at a time. i dont really want to have to set up my spray gun every time i take anything down to bare metal...

also, whats the best way to get old bondo off the car?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
id use self etching if u dont have any body work done on it, or use epoxy primer if u do have body work done to it

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Talk to your local PPG destributor. PPG makes rattle cans as well as a roll-on primer that would suit your needs. I beleive the roll on primer is SX-1060 I'm not posetive, any day to day shop workers out there care to second that or correct me?

HK

·
Registered
533 Posts
A freind of mine had a 72 Stang and had cheap-o 99 cent a can spray primer on his car for 3 years...A little rust, but he fixed that by painting the car with a blue rattle can paint...Steve

·
Registered
60 Posts
dunno if you have an O'rylies auto parts in your neck of the woods but if you do they can put any paint you want in a spray-can. as for the bondo...
If its on thick I heat it up with a heatgun or a propane torch just to soften it a little, then use a putty knife..works like a charm...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've said this before (and some don't agree!) but if you're just doing one small area, use rattle can primer and flat black spray paint - the el-cheap-o brand- and it will stay a long, long time. Then when you're ready to paint, just knock it down with 400 or 600, prime and paint as usual. As for bondo, I use a 60 or80 grit disc on a drill. Snags it off quick but makes some dust. (just my opinion as it works for me...) :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Always sand your bare metal before priming first off all. Oxidation happens with in hours after the initial sand. I like to resand any metal after 20 minuites. Then use a metal etch or zinc chromate primer. Just a thin coat. Both can be bought in spray cans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts