Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Curmudgeon at Large
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing paint on a '64 Valiant, minimal bodywork, not planning to sand to full bare metal.
Do I use a sealer or epoxy primer before a hi-fill primer or after?

·
Registered
860 Posts
If on your final prime coat, you don't sand through there is no need for sealer.
A trick to this is tint your first coat of the final priming process. Then when you final sand, stop when you see it coming up.
Hopefully this makes sense. What you're after is one uniform base for your top coat to go onto.
Sealer is used in production paint jobs, where the entire panel can't be primed and sanded in a uniform manner. Basically sealer is just a crutch.

·
Curmudgeon at Large
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If on your final prime coat, you don't sand through there is no need for sealer.
A trick to this is tint your first coat of the final priming process. Then when you final sand, stop when you see it coming up.
Hopefully this makes sense. What you're after is one uniform base for your top coat to go onto.
Sealer is used in production paint jobs, where the entire panel can't be primed and sanded in a uniform manner. Basically sealer is just a crutch.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. This car is a decent driver, has replaced hood & doors that are different color, but no indication of any major body work having been done. I just want to make sure what ever I leave doesn't bleed through the finish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts