Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just assembling my street rod and i want to drive it a couple of months before laying down the paint what primer should i use if its going to be out in the weather epoxy, sealer?

·
Registered
49 Posts
do not use epoxy it will not hold up to sunlight.if it was me i would buy inexpensive single stage paint and add flattening agent to it. check with someone who sells ppg paint they have a fleet line of paint called omni its very inexpensive. you can buy it in single stage. buy the quart. you can also buy inexpensive sealer from omni. if you are doing it in your garage make sure buy the fastest drying reducers and hardners. collins motors

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would use an epoxy promer and possibly a urethane primer over that. The epoxy primer is a good sealer for the base metal and it not a sandable primer. The urethane primer will be sandable but it tends to pick up stuff like bugs and oil from the road. You should also use a primer from the same manufacterer as the paint you plan on using. Paint manufacters do not warranty the paint job unless you use all their products, plus some paints will not work over other primers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts