Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On feather fill G2 poly primer. It says can be applied over bare metal. Why do they say that and then tell you to put dowm epoxy first. Alo what size tip and air cap should be used in spraying nason bc cc. thanks

·
©®™
1,306 Posts
Like I said, the epoxy first is the best way to go.

But, yes, if you follow the instruction sheet on the polyester primer which is what Featherfill is, you should be fine.

However, I would only dry sand the polyester primer and not wet-sand it. IMO, dry sanding it is the only way to go anyway.
I use the rolls of 3M sticky paper on a long sanding board and cut it down with 220.. You can then finish it off with a 2K urethane primer before topcoating.

Roger

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
feather fill

Thanks for the info roger. I have been out of the auto body world since the 80s so there is alot of new stuff. I remember using dupont 30s laquer primer for everything. I have to get caught up. Especially on prices everything has sure gone up alot. thanks again

·
Registered
327 Posts
Epoxy is definetly the way to go. I primed my charger with a poly primer about 3 yrs ago, and I feel when I tear back into it i'm going to strip it down and start over with the epoxy,, I'm worried moisture penetrated the panels. I'll just feel better about it.. I've learned since then.. If I did the poly prime and then 2k primer and had it painted i'd be pretty comfortable though.. it's just that it's sat a long time now.

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
Basically, Feather Fill provides NO corrosion protection over bare metal. Adhesion is no issue,just rust. You can spray FF with a 1.4 reduced around 10% with Acetone but for max coverage/build,you need a 1.8-2.0 tip set.
As for the Nason,What color are you planning on?
A solid color is fine with a 1.4 tip set for both base and the 497 clear.
However,If you are going metallic, I would STRONGLY suggest going with Chromabase base paint. Nason's metallics simply,suck,and are virtually impossiable to spray out right even for experienced painters.Silver being one of the worst followed by the pewter. Chromabase is much more "forgiving" and is almost fool proof with the right shade primer underneith. The Nason clear will work fine over the Chromabase so don't worry about it being compatiable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chadsbodyshop49119 said:
Epoxy is definetly the way to go. I primed my charger with a poly primer about 3 yrs ago, and I feel when I tear back into it i'm going to strip it down and start over with the epoxy,, I'm worried moisture penetrated the panels. I'll just feel better about it.. I've learned since then.. If I did the poly prime and then 2k primer and had it painted i'd be pretty comfortable though.. it's just that it's sat a long time now.
Have you had problems with it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.