Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to connect a tach/clock combo into my 78 elk. Can I bolt a wire connector to the printed circuit board at the tach position? What type of metal should the connector be made of? Are there anything else I need to know to get it done?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Copper would work best. Brass tends to collect sulfur deposits sometimes in certain environments. Also, there’re some don’t for this as well, do not use iron or steel bolts. If you can use solder, that’s always the best option.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
When adding components or jumpers to a printed circuit board you should drill a small hole near the joint to hold the device or jumper first. If you simply bolt or solder to a printed circuit the weight of the lead or connector will eventually break the printed circuit material and fall off.
I drill a hole closely next to the area, then insert the end of a tinned wire, and solder it in place. Then I find a place as close as possible to tie the jumper off to keep it from hanging from the board. After that you can install a device to attach the tach lead to it like a single pin plug, or 1/4" insulated connector, so removal for service later is easy.
If the source you're tapping is for 12v. power, be sure it's large enough to provide power to the device and not burn up the circuit board.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.