Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I have heard of using rear window defogger repair kits for this as well. On my '80 Malibu the copper is very thin so soldering would be tricky, but if a heat sink were used on the backside to keep from melting the plastic backing it could be done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whoa there gents!!! a little advanced for me. soldering wires i can do but not a printed circuit!

im in a pinch right now with the VA not paying me 2 weeks pay and not being able to find a job in the area to make up for it. i wish i could repair it, then i wouldn't have asked you guys, hahaha. if anyone comes across one for about $50 that would be great but i know that this is a pricey piece.

thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I've bought an entire cluster from pick and pull for $25, and it was returnable if it did not work. Just make sure you get the right year, since GM changed the gauge configuration from year to year. Some early ones have a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and there are variations in the warning lights around the speedometer.

Bruce

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
whoa there gents!!! a little advanced for me. soldering wires i can do but not a printed circuit!

im in a pinch right now with the VA not paying me 2 weeks pay and not being able to find a job in the area to make up for it. i wish i could repair it, then i wouldn't have asked you guys, hahaha. if anyone comes across one for about $50 that would be great but i know that this is a pricey piece.

thanks guys!!!
The defroster repair I mentioned is a brush-on compound that is rich in silver or copper. No soldering.

If you get a used one, it needs to match what you have- with or w/o A/C, tach, idiot lights or gauges, etc. This all need to be same as your set up is. That's what makes buying one used or junkyard so hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.