Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my powerglide out of my chevelle to replace the torque converter. Jacked up front end, pulled off driver shaft etc. So my back end is on the ground. Front end about 14 inches up with jackstands. When I pulled the tranny, the engine fell back a little against the firewall, as the tranny is what stops the motor from moving back and forth. I have ratchet straps wrapped around the water pump and the front end of my suspension to try to get the engine at the right angle to mount tranny back up. Also it seems that in me ratcheting it tends to pull the motor off its axis(parallel to the firewall. So now i have it moving back and forth and side to side a bit. :confused: Anyone have an easy solution for me to find the proper angle? Keep in mind I am doing this myself so having one Guy ratcheting and another under the car trying to lift and push tranny in place is not an option. THe tranny mount is in and the tranny is up far enough it is just that the motor is leaning on the firewall a little.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've used a small bottle jack or a scissors jack to do the same thing as a floor jack; don't forget the wood block to protect the oil pan!. My floor jack gets used as a trans jack. As already stated, watch out for distributor-firewall clearence, sometimes the distributor is all that keeps an engine from falling back and the distributor gets damaged. So, the stall too high or did something burn up? Is'nt hot rodding fun? Switch this, repair that; modify this, repair that; rebuild this, repair that; build this, repair that. Let me say this, start saving for a TH 400 swap in the future, you'll NEVER be happier. I just put one in my truck, after years of TH 350 use; I have'nt been this happy in years. It also sounds like your motor mounts might be a bit weak.

Here's a little "trick" I've been using for many years now. Instead of bolts/lock washers to hold the trans to the engine, I replace them with exhaust manifold studs. It helps to align the engine, and it's easier to start nuts than turn bolts into place. It's only a few dollars, but makes the R and R so much easier. I also replace trans extension housing bolts, especially on the Powerglides I build as they strip easily with frequent servicing, with the same studs. Like the "Mikey" commercial, try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing burned up. I just bought the car and riiped out the straight 6 before I even started it, hahaha. Then had stupid torque converter problem not matching up to the flexplate. Anyways I have a TH400! Just have to get the swap stuff. Like the kickdown, linkage, shift indicator, drivershaft cut. Etc, etc.... Plus the summer almost over and I am dyeing to drive it. Thanks guys. My motor mounts are BRAND NEW. I will muscle the thing in when I get home.

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
71haulnazz said:
I pulled my powerglide out of my chevelle to replace the torque converter. Jacked up front end, pulled off driver shaft etc. So my back end is on the ground. Front end about 14 inches up with jackstands. When I pulled the tranny, the engine fell back a little against the firewall, as the tranny is what stops the motor from moving back and forth. I have ratchet straps wrapped around the water pump and the front end of my suspension to try to get the engine at the right angle to mount tranny back up. Also it seems that in me ratcheting it tends to pull the motor off its axis(parallel to the firewall. So now i have it moving back and forth and side to side a bit. :confused: Anyone have an easy solution for me to find the proper angle? Keep in mind I am doing this myself so having one Guy ratcheting and another under the car trying to lift and push tranny in place is not an option. THe tranny mount is in and the tranny is up far enough it is just that the motor is leaning on the firewall a little.
the best thing you can do at this point is to jack the back of the car off the ground as much as possible to level the thing out. after that, follow what these guys have mentioned about jacking up the back of the engine a bit so its not at such a steep angle, and for that matter also not risking damage to the distributor cap and rotor.
by the sounds of things, im willing to bet that your using a floor jack to install the trans in the car and so trying to angle the trans to mate to the engine by yourself is just about impossible to do without risking the trans falling off the jack. at this point, if ya got an extra set of jackstands, level the thing out and not only give yourself a bit of extra room to work on the thing, but also give you a straighter and easier shot on getting that trans installed. gl

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay new problem......got motor level and tranny hooked up but with putting the original torque converter in the tranny am now having trouble getting the two to meet together. Let me be more clear, all the tranny bolts are in to the block but the tranny and motor have 1/4 inch gap between the block and bellhousing. The tranny is suspended with the motor, I have no idea why? The Torque converer is seated on the pump to the best of my knowledge unles it slipped off during the process and I didnt realize it. Could that be why?

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Sounds like the converter is not all the way in. Is it touching the flywheel. If the engine and tranny are 1/4 inch apart you should have about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch between teh converter and flywheel. If you dont the converter is not all the way in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.