Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
58/58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is indirectly a hot rod question, cuz i gotta fix it before i can work on my car project..... Engine idles very poorly...... 1999 ford V6 3.0L in a ranger. after working on it for a week i took it to my trusted mechanic in town. very sharp older guy, anyway, he said the compression is real low ( 30-35lb.) on four cyls, the other two are O.K. but not great, only thing he could think of was timing chain jumped, I replaced chain, and both sprockets, Yes, I'm sure i got the timing marks right on. the old chain was pretty lose in there....But It didn't help any at all. The 3.0 is single cam, push rod, rocker arm, the good old style.....can ya think of anything else i can try short of taking the heads off, I will pull the engine before i take the heads off. otherwise It runs pretty nice, does not consume oil or smoke at all, no funny noises, except for the idle, it's a great little truck. Any ideas :( :(

·
58/58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention, it has 140,000 on the odomie. It was mentioned to me that it could be carbon build up preventing the valves from closing all the way, if so can i clean it up a little without head removal? any magic stuff out there???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.