Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The turn signal lights on the front of my street rod are inside the headlights and they can be hard to see. I bought some LED bulbs (1157 68 SMD 1210 White LED Bulb Lamp Brake Stop Tail Light) on eBay, thinking they would be brighter and easier to see and than incandescent bulbs. But when I installed one of the LED bulbs on the left side and hit the turn signal, all of the lights flashed, including the turn signals on the right side, both front and back. Is this because I have the wrong type bulb or is it because I need an LED flasher or some resistance in the circuit? After I put the incandescent bulb back in, everything worked perfectly.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
You are the second person having this same problem with LED bulbs, unless this is a repeat post, I've had no trouble with LED bulbs...... but I buy them from "superbrightleds.com"....... an electronic flasher shouldn't affect the LED bulbs...... the bi-metal flashers (old style) rely on the large amp/current draw of the old incandesent bulbs to heat up the bi-metal switching unit that allows the currrent to be interupted and flash the bulb........ since the LEDs don't draw enough amprege to heat up the bi-metal strip, the blinkers should blink really slow, mine blinked faster for some reason till I put in the electronic flasher.......... but they never went crazy like your describing

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
jax32 said:
The turn signal lights on the front of my street rod are inside the headlights and they can be hard to see. I bought some LED bulbs (1157 68 SMD 1210 White LED Bulb Lamp Brake Stop Tail Light) on eBay, thinking they would be brighter and easier to see and than incandescent bulbs. But when I installed one of the LED bulbs on the left side and hit the turn signal, all of the lights flashed, including the turn signals on the right side, both front and back. Is this because I have the wrong type bulb or is it because I need an LED flasher or some resistance in the circuit? After I put the incandescent bulb back in, everything worked perfectly.
Send them back and get good ones.

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
X2
This sounds similiar to a post we had 2 weeks ago. I guessed that the bulb was backfeeding into the parking light circuit thus lighting all four corners.
It seems that some LED dual brightness bulbs on sale are not compatible with 1157 and other dual filament automotive bulbs.
The LED in not a dual section bulb but a dual brightness bulb. My guess is the designer was not familiar with automotive circuits and rushed the design to market.
Sound familiar???
I have purchased several items from www.superbrightleds.com and have been satisfied with their products.

vicrod

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vicrod. I'll try superbrightleds.com but I suspect I'm also going to have to replace the flasher or install a resistor in the circuit. I visited the super bright web site and saw that they sell not only bulbs but flashers and resistors. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.