Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 chevy halfton
383 stroker pretty much new truck

i have been trying to get my horn to work for like the past 4 days. i start working with the horn contact and move downward. eventually i give up and move toward something else like seat belts, restoring my dash pad, etc. now i have everything done except my horn. i bought some horn contacts fron napa and tried both. nothing. so i check my column itself and find that there is one green/blue double prong that is dangling about. i figure it could be my horn connection (and by now im pretty pissed) and also find a double prong connection on top of my column that fits it nicely. i connect it and it still doesnt work. i pulled the steering wheel off my beatup s-10 and had it on in a jiff, connecting the horn contact insinde the wiper cam. nothing. i tried all combonations and still nothing. im and inch away from sending it to the dealer and paying $150 to have it fixed. help?!? please?!?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i also might mention that i have know idea of how the horn works. touching a electro contact maybe. doesnt work with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

First check the horn relay...

Find the black wire that goes to the Steering column from the relay, and remove that wire from the relay...Ground that terminal, the relay should "Click" and the horn should blow. If it does the circuit is whole from the relay forward.

Next, put a DVOM on that black wire, and set it for OHMS, RX1 scale, Calibrated 000, have someone push the horn button, it should read 000, If infinity, the wire is open from there to the plug OR from the plug to the inside of the steering column.

Pull the plug at the bottom of the column, measure between it and the black wire at the horn relay, it should read 000. If so your open wire (and most common) is inside the Column, you must remove the column harness and repair or replace it.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k appriciate you helping me out. its a starter anyway. ill try most of that out today if i can get away from my retail business. could santa work for GM maybe???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts