Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have posts all over the place here I decided to just start a "project thread"

So here it is..

Being a COMPLETE noobie to painting with no sources for knowledge other than the web, the paint shop, and a small book I have been learning a lot.

The vehicle: 1973 VW bug

The intent: Restore to original outside condition, update interior and suspension.

Where I stand currently: I started by going at it with the DA, then the sandblaster (both HF tools). Once I got it all stripped I knew I needed an etching primer so I went to my local auto parts store and got a few rattle cans. After a little reading I quickly found rattle can is not the way to go and down to my local PPG reseller I went for a pint of epoxy primer.

For a gun I went to my local sears and bought the best they had for about $100. I sprayed the primer and was not real happy with the results so I researched a replacement and decided on the astro pneumatics with both a 1.3 and a 1.5 tip.

I sanded the epoxy primer in places that had dents and did my body work with filler, sanded down with 220 wet sand paper. To float in the patches I got some transtar 2 in 1 rattle can filler.

That is where I am right now.

Because the epoxy primer sat for so long I got another pint, this time I also got some reducer to make it flow on a bit better (will use a 2:1:1 mix). I am hoping to respray the car with the primer this saturday followed by the omni Single Stage paint a couple hours later.

Here is where I keep the pictures of the project:
http://rivercityrockcrawlers.com/web_pages/gallery/Oscar

A few selected images..

major rust repair..

there are probbably about 6 places that I patched, I put some sheetmetal on the back side and filled in the holes.

and the body work..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks good, the only thing that jumps out at me is the bare metal spots near your filler, you may want to glaze and block those areas to avoid any dips....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got some transtar rattle can filler stuff and did what ya said. Then I put on another coat of epoxy primer and painted away..

http://rivercityrockcrawlers.com/web_pages/gallery/Oscar?page=2

I woulda done it differently in retrospect but I'm pretty happy. It was just to much work for all at once. I reprimed it, then I sprayed the whole thing. I should just painted the body at once, then did all the components (4 separate fenders, hood, trunk, misc small pieces).

As a result some stuff got more paint than others. I didn't get enough paint in a few places and I got runs in a few others. I am confident I can fix the runs not sure what to do with the places that didn't quite get enough paint. I think I am just going to put the car together, sand and buff, then worry about fixing anything that needs it. I hardly used half of my gallon of paint so I have plenty left.

What I don't get at this point is your not supposed to wax a car for a few months, well isn't polishing compound just a gritty wax??

So..

I am guessing here -

wet sand 400 on my runs, then go finer to say 1500 and then buff with compound (what "grit" compound if it comes that way?).

BTW I went and picked up a HF gun for the primer, and used the astro for the final paint. They were very similiar, I was actually quite impressed with the HF one. The astro started to drip real bad toward the end which is why I just called it quits for the day. Not sure why it did that, assuming something got plugged or ?

time for a new filter ;)

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
looks good man. i may be in the market for a little bug in the futur (not for sure if im goin to chop it and make a sand runner, or rebuild and drag/street use it.) looks cool. what color is that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the original color, I forget the real name but ya didn't get too many choices back then. It's an orangey red color. It's gonna get somewhat of an updated interior but for the most part it's a restoration not a "rod"

That project is in the works ;)

This bug is gonna get disk brakes and a few other things but stock height, stock wing vent etc - everyone keeps telling me to cal custom or do this or do that..

·
380 Posts
looks nice....

for some reason i keep picturing these wheels on it with the centers color matched to the body with thick white walls. what do you have in mind.

one
two
three
4our
five

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice wheels, I'll just be using the stockers (similiar to one but with a painted wheel and a chrome cap)

And yes, she wants whitewalls..

I'd kinda prefer something lo-pro for handling but it's her baby (the wife), but I get to do the work ;)

they have big moon caps stock from the factory. I might go with some all chrome ones in the 5.5" width (which an inch wider than stock) just because I am lazy and sandblasting/primer/painting all the wheels sounds like work ;)

·
380 Posts
keep us updated.

And the interior, your going for an updated stock look? Or has the final say not been decided by the "client" :p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like these tires, good compromise of width and the whitewall

http://www.coker.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=17666&cat=358&page=1

Interior won't be stock but the dash and the radio will be. Basically just re-upholstered. Hoping for some comfy seats though :)

Also gonna go with velour or tweed (I don't even think I have seen a tweed headliner) for the headliner just so I don't poke a hole in it like I did the old one.

I got a 5 day weekend to bust it out, so I'll post up updates :)

Bugs are cool, for about a grand the interior will all be new and cherry - when I get workin on my chevy it will probably cost that just to cover one of the seats!

·
380 Posts
That wheel and tire combo is exactly what i was picturing. looks good.

tweed all around will be nice. and thats no joke about the Chevy. :)

5 days to do all the work is kinda getting it close. thats alot of work. hopefully youll have time to post some pics:welcome:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Brandon -

Good to see another person with the "bug"...lol I am having trouble checking out your pics. I even tried to get on RCRC's website, but I can't seem to connect. Anyways, 'd love to see the pics if you have another link or something.

I'm into VW's, so if you have some questions I will try to help you out!

Good luck with the project, I am currently doing a '68 Vert Beetle for my lady!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, my site that is never down.. is down.. go figure.

Any tips on what brand headliner to go with, I'm not getting this stuff done custom with all the aftermarket (something I love about the bug).

I was thinking of the stuff jbugs sells - velour one piece kit. Thinking charcoal headliner and carpet, black seats and the rest of the interior stuff. I'd actually like to lighten it up a bit but the boss.. ;)

Bugformance in sac is just down the street from me, I'll see what they have and decide if I want to order the stuff on-line or get it there. I got white fender welting (or whatever it is called) which should look good with the white walls. Dare to be somewhat different :)

site appears to be back up :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cool! got the pics to come up!

Looks good! The original color on those was called Ruby Red...If you wanted to know...

J-Bugs has a really good inventory, but they will charge you. The stuff is OEM quality, but you can find better deals at your local VW shop. Especially coming from CA, that's where all of the best Bug parts shops are! Pick up a VW Trends or Hot VW's and search them. I always get whatever my local shop can order, usually from Wolfsburg West, SoCal, or SewFine....Headliners are fairly inexpensive, so you can get a good one for a resent price. You may need some extra foam to get it to look right, most kits have a foam pad that is a little to thin IMO.

I will have to get my project journal started so you all can see my progress thus far....

Bug on!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kason red is what this red is called - or atleast that is what is on the dealer sheet :)

I'd like to check out your project, lemme know where!

I should have more to post up by next week. Any tips on installing glass?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Glass, Ahh yes, a lot of fun there.... The rear side glass-are they pop out windows or not? The best way I have found for the windshield and rear glass is to put the rubber seal around the glass first. Then take a piece of rope or twine (about 1/8" thick) and run it in the groove that the frame sits in. Lather the metal and the rubber up with a bunch of soapy water. Set the glass on the outside of the frame and run the loose end of the rope inside the car (still around the rubber). Have someone push on the outside of the glass firmly and start pulling the rope out following the window shape it will pull the inner part of the seal into the car as you make your way around the window, and when you get all the way around, the window should be seated into the frame. Have whoever is helping you try to put the most pressure on the area you are working the rope and follow you around, this will help make it go a little easier.

The last time I did this I had to do it in the parking lot of a restaraunt and all I had was the windshield, seal, soap, and a piece of thin twine. I had to wrap the twine around the seal about three times to get it in because it was so thin....

Careful with your new paint!!! You may want to wait a few days to make sure everything is good and dry...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks! I don't have the best of luck getting help so this oughta be fun..

Your descriptions helps a lot though, thanks again!!

·
380 Posts
gona have to remmember you two when i get one of these. :thumbup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
A little off-subject, but I thought I'd let you know I posted a couple of entries in my project journal. The pics are from the beginning stages of the 68 Vert project. I will continue to update them this week, so keep checking it out.

FYI....Doing the glass alone will be nearly impossible. It may work if you use a big suction cup to pull it from the inside....A plunger might work - just clean it first...lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey that journal is pretty cool!

I'm glad the PO (father n law) patched the floorpanels allready. Probably not the best job but they are buried in epoxy or something so hopefully it will last a while..

I wonder why they took the VW symbol off the hood on 73, I think it looks cool there. I might just put one on anyway, I am sure the hood is the same and it uses the same trim..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts