Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i going to need to build a bellhousing for myself, as im convting a FWD engine to a RWD chassis

there IS a bellhousing setup i could use, but it requires a custom adapter plate ($200) and also requires a hodge podge of clutch parts. it also leaves me with only one transmission choice (T5)

whats the best alloy and thickness to use for this ?

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I would use 6061. That would be plenty stiff and easy to work with.

I'd be using 1/2" for the trans plate, 3/16 or 1/4 for the bell part, and 1/2" for where it bolts to the motor. Your cutout for the engine flange could do the trans flange if you shaped the bell part with a taper.

You will have to weld it up. surface the trans plate parallel to the block and then locate the center of the trans snout hole. I think I would find center with a scribe on the crankshaft, machine your snout hole, align the bellhousing with the block then drill and ream your dowelpins so everything was perfect..

I never made a bellhousing, but that's how I'd think about doing it.

Later, mikey

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
5083 or 5086 is commonly used for its welding characteristics..Found mostly at marine suppliers..it is available up to half inch in thicknees that I am aware of..which I would use in the areas of bolts or studs..

I grabbed this http://pages.prodigy.net/larryhoy/RaceAluminumQualities.htm off of the internet for the overview of aluminum alloys..

Aircraft spruce and specialty is a good place to shop for this specialized sort of thing..

Sam

·
Registered
498 Posts
Buy the adapter plate, etc and retire with more money....
Bellhousing configuration MUST be exact as it locates the clutch and trans behind the engine. $200 is cheap for adapter plate. You will spend that and more making a bell... :spank:

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the T5 realy isnt an option, were talking about a 220hp engine that can put 400 to the ground on a mere 8psi, and im going to be running MUCH more boost then that

car will be used for drag racing, autocross, rallycross, road courses and daily driving

i realy dont want to being tranny swaps after every track day ...

i might just make the bellhousing out of steel, as the shop definantly has enough large scraps laying around

2 foot long pieces of plate arent much use when one of the fab projects is a carbon fiber kiln thats big enough to park 8 ford focus's in (4 on the bottom, 4 on the top)

ill most likely make the tranny plate 2 piece so its adjustable and shimable

im not worried about the effort its going to take, considering ill be taking a car thats struts in front and independant in the rear, and converting it to dual a arm in front a 4 bar / mumford link on a solid axle in the rear ... the bellhousing is small potatoes

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Did you ever think about getting an aluminum or steel bellhousing for the T5 and then modifying the flange that bolts to the motor so it fits your application?

That way most of your work will be done.

I don't want to wreck your fabrication fun, just tryin to help.

Later, mikey

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wont be competing for money in any of the track events, so im jut going to build something thats capable all around and not worry about getting every last 1/10 out of it.

i know my autocross class doesnt require a SFI bellhousing, and the road course events ill be attending are open track events put on by some of the forums im on, rules are usualy just "helmets and mufflers" and they reserve the right to inspect the cars to ensure they are generaly road worthy, (no suspension damage, frame is solid, ect)

a custom SFI bellhousing would cost me $1500, so thats not an option, ill just have to keep the car slow enough to not need one

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the SHO V6 is the engine ill be swapping ...

the only units that bolt up are the original transmissions (fwd w/ integrated bellhousings) and the one aerostar van bellhousing

the aerostar bellhousing requires the custom adapter plate, which costs like 175+ shipping + probably a long wait, and all it realy is is an aluminium plate with 4 bolt holes and one center hole for the input shaft (which also has a raised lip for retaining the throw out bearing

aerostar bellhousings also demand a pretty penny, because its pretty well known that they are used for this swap. $75 and up is their normal price

all that and id only be able to use the t-5 tranny .... now if only i can think of fun things to make with shattered gears and twisted input shafts...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just poney up the money for the bell housing and the adapter. It isnt THAT much money. Around $300 for adapter and bellhousing, then fit it with a T5 or T56.

Try anything else, and you will be dealing with fitment and alignment issues.

Im dealing with the same motor and RWD configuration. And have started my hunt for parts.

There are other transmissions that will bolt up, btw. :mwink:

like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=220088336402&rd=1,1

All you need to do to make it work is modify the input shaft a bit. As it is longer than the SHO trans input shaft.

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the adapter will not accept a t56 as far as i know

t56 bellhousing:

adapter plate

T5 bellhousing:

·
Registered
29 Posts
lowROLLERchevy said:
the adapter will not accept a t56 as far as i know
Sorry, you misunderstood what i was trying to say.

You are talking about having a bellhousing machined from scratch.
Im saying it simply isnt worth the hassle or $$$

You are saying that an adapter is expensive.
Im saying just buy one, or have one machined, for whatever trans you want (t-5 and t-56 are popular choices)

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i now have a firebird ws6 clutch disk, pressure plate and throw out bearing assembly, along with a C5 corvette bellhousing

the clutch parts are in real nice shape, but the car is being turned into a twin turbo monster so their are being replaced, the bellhousing has a small crack in it

i have to figure out the clutch situation, i need a 26 spline clutch that will fit withjin the constraints of a 9.25" flywheel surface

i also have to machine myself a fake input shaft, and make a bracket that will bolt it to the t56 bellhousing. this way ill be able to check the bellhousing work to make sure it will properly locate the transmission to the crank, without having to spend $1000 on the tranny itself (which if i had would cause me to need an acces hole in the bellhousing in able to see the input shaft anyways)

should be fun :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.