Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K guys, getting ready to drop a fuel cell in the Camaro. I ran one in my 87' awhile back but had an interesting problem that I never figured out. On the vent line, I just ran a hose off a fitting to underneath the car (the picture is before I moved the cell under the car with AN line, this was just to drive it and test things out) but the cell "ballooned" on me, like pressure was building in the cell. The line wasn't clogged and it was below the fuel cell, any clues? I was going to run an aluminum version of the cell in this car but got a smoking deal on a 12gal cell in the "plastic" version. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to go through this again.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
If your strap's are to tight it will make it do that.. Don't ask me how I know.. :drunk: Sometime it will sink it in too. Try loosening the strap's and see what happens.. :D
Plus make sure your vent is open.. Bugs like to make their nest in there.. :smash:

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
RamAirZ said:
Well that car is long gone so can't really loosen the straps lol. But on this car I will try that. The cell got like that after about a day or two sitting in my garage.

That's when it happens... :D

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
cell

I don't think your issues came from the vent.

Did the cell ever have any pressure on it when you opened the cap???

I have had those cells change shape after the first time you load them with fuel. The ones from Summit and Jegs seam worse then the Jazz..

Did it take that shape and then stay that way???

Keith

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember putting it in the car, filling it with race gas and a couple days later I noticed it. It seemed to get a tad worse then stayed the same. I don't recall any pressure but it's been a long time now.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
k-star said:
I don't think your issues came from the vent.

Did the cell ever have any pressure on it when you opened the cap???

I have had those cells change shape after the first time you load them with fuel. The ones from Summit and Jegs seam worse then the Jazz..

Did it take that shape and then stay that way???

Keith

Believe me when I tell you why they do that,, This isn't something I made up,,,I had one change after the first fill up,, Took the strap's off and it went back right.. Built some different strap's, and it ''NEVER'' did it again... Now I had a friend that his tank did the same thing.. He fixed it a little different, But it never was right.. He didn't fix the strap's, and never really ever fix his tank.. But Like I said,, It fixed mine,, And I never had one do it again.... ;)

Now if the vent was plugged up and had no way of venting. The tank will swell up like that one is.. And when you open the tank,, it would have pressure built up in side...Yes that can happen.. But if you open it and nothing happens, Then look into refitting your strap's.. :D

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
cell

I do-not doubt for a minute that the straps fixed it for you. My case was different

In my own personal car the cell took a set and stayed there. I had it in and out of the car 2 or 3 times while changing other things. It always stayed the same shape.

Mine expanded at the sides, and the top center when down maybe 1/4".

As for the others, i can't say because they we not my cars.

Keith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.