Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 Fairlane that was a bare bones car originally. I'm not sure of the amperage but I'll be running the alternator from a '94 F-150. I've added an electric fuel pump and will be installing A/C. I'm not planning on electric radiator fans. The original wire feeding the fuse block looks to be no larger than 12 ga. at most. Will this be sufficient or should I be going to a larger wire?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would leave the oem wiring to the fuse block. Run an 8ga. wire from alternator to battery for charge current, Then make a positive fused bus, run any added stuff from this bus through relays. Any added loads will not effect original wiring this way. Source the positive for the bus from the battery side of the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Running all the additional stuff off relays is the way to go in the short term.

Long term though your going to want to replace that harness. 53 years is a outstanding stretch for a factory harness.
If you start playing with that harness your going to have those strands of wire snap in places.
Just get ready to replace it here soon. For now use relays.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Running all the additional stuff off relays is the way to go in the short term.

Long term though your going to want to replace that harness. 53 years is a outstanding stretch for a factory harness.
If you start playing with that harness your going to have those strands of wire snap in places.
Just get ready to replace it here soon. For now use relays.
My '66 corvair fuse box still works fine !!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Like Cerial says. Stock, never touched, possibly OK. Move wires, modify, then the potential problems start.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Like Cerial says. Stock, never touched, possibly OK. Move wires, modify, then the potential problems start.
The corvair fuse box has been in my tbucket for 20 years , ya' think it may have been touched ?? You one of those " only the factory can do it right" types ??LOL. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
416 Posts
"You one of those "only the factory can do it right"" Of course not. I wouldn't be on this site if I was. The key word in my post was "potential". Let's move on.......

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am using relays. I was just thinking that since the car originally had almost no options requiring any amperage that I could get away with adding the A/C and fuel pump. I figured they probably used the same main feed wire for all models regardless of options so I could tap off that without putting any strain on it. I think I'll add the additional 12 ga. wire as Tech suggested and a second fuse block with the 8 ga. alternator wire as MGK mentioned.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Since you will have the relays, it will make it easier to control the fuel pump for safety shutoff through oil pressure switch.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I don't recall the exact configuration Ford uses with the external solenoids, but on GM vehicles I've been able to find a vehicles with the higher amperage alternator and pull the charge wire to use with my '75 GMC truck. The OEM wiring is more durable than what you will find in the typical parts store.

On most GMT400 pickup trucks ('88-'98?) they have a multi-post power junction mounted on the firewall on the passenger side and its used to interconnect quite a few accessories. Its a great way to provide power for relays, and you can usually find one for a few bucks at the pick and pull.

Bruce

1 - 14 of 14 Posts