Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen time after time blocks that have been cleaned with out removing this plug in the pic as there are a lot 010 blocks that have a plug that is pressed in the block. And this is the main passage that feeds the cam bearings then the mains and rods.

As we have had 2 blocks in the shop that the mains and rod bearing were damaged do to debris. And after looking the blocks over these plugs were not removed and there is no way to properly clean this passage with out removing the plug.

We drill and tap the plug and pull it out and use a 9/16 drill and drill down to the counter bore and from there we use a 1/4 pipe tap and tap the hole.

Sorry the pic is blurry but the plug we pulled out is setting on the deck of the block and the tap is in the oil passage hole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,527 Posts
Is that the passage that leads all the way down to a 1/2" plug under the rear main cap?

If so I recommend removing that one and cleaning the entire passage with a brush, but you probably already knew that.


Larry
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coldknock said:
Is that the passage that leads all the way down to a 1/2" plug under the rear main cap?

If so I recommend removing that one and cleaning the entire passage with a brush, but you probably already knew that.


Larry
No the one your talking about is the one the oil pressure line threads into as the oil comes the passage your talking about and takes about a 120 degree turn and goes to the main galley oil galley.
 

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
I think I know which one you are talking about but I'm not totally sure. Is it only on 010 blocks or all/most SBCs? How about a bigger picture that shows more of the block. That looks like it's along the lifter valley rail where the intake seals at the back of the block?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jmark said:
Looks like the tap is in the oil sender hole? Is that where the plug is??? Way down inside? Hmmmmm.

A 9/16" drill...Wow, that's over a half inch. But a 1/4" pipe tap is much smaller. (sender hole is 1/8" pipe thread if memory serves me correctly, approx 1/4" diameter hole.)

I'm confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Mark

Ahhhh!!! Just looked again and see what you are talking about. That hole is on the head surface isn't it? Drivers side? Not where the intake goes. The intake sender hole would be down below where the picture stops.
Mark
Your right the hole with the pressed in plug is the one the head on the drivers side sets over.

As this is over liooked by many shops that clean blocks.
 

·
King of my Man-cave.
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
CNC BLOCKS N/E said:
Mark
Your right the hole with the pressed in plug is the one the head on the drivers side sets over.

As this is over liooked by many shops that clean blocks.
That plug comes in both the pressed in and threaded type, depending on the vintage.

tom

It sucks when that plug is left out upon assembly.
:embarrass
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
machine shop tom said:
That plug comes in both the pressed in and threaded type, depending on the vintage.

tom

It sucks when that plug is left out upon assembly.
:embarrass
Most of the shops with renove the treaded plug when cleaning the block but as far as the one that are pressed in I see alot of them that have not been removed.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top