Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the disc brakes from a Dodge Aspen to my 66 Belvedere and that was pretty simple... I did replace all hardware,, shoes pads and drums along with a power brake and booster that is re-manufactured. The proportioning valve was used from the donor car.I left it sitting for a few months as I got busy with other things. When it came time to get back on it I got a power bleeder and proceeded to bleed all the brakes starting from the far rt. rear to the left and up front till all I was getting was brake fluid and no air. What is strange is that the rear brake fluid reservoir will drain down when I bleed the front brakes and I cannot get any pedal pressure. I am certain after going over a number of times that the routing of the brake lines are correct and that there is no leaking in any of the fittings. I do get fluid from all four corners. If I pump the brakes a bit I can get pressure to stop the car at slow speeds. I did not pre prime the master as I faulted and forgot I didn't do it on initial install. I hope I have given enough info so someone sees what I am missing.

·
Administrator
8,173 Posts
The larger reservoir will be for the disc side.

Do you have the rears adjusted correctly?

What is the bore size of the master?

The master could be defective

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
This happened to me on a build and discovered that one of the plungers of the M/C had stuck down. I think it happened when the pedal was pushed while the M/C was dry. To recover pull the M/C and take it apart. Take both plungers out and lube the bore with brake fluid and reinstall everything. Bench bleed the M/C and reinstall. Bench bleeding is very important.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
proportioning valve

This makes a lot of sense and I will try this... I think that is what happened when I was connecting the brake pedal to the push rod and was checking for play. Thanks and I will reply after I try this... Cars at paint so I will not be able to do this for another week. Thanks PJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts