Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
What year? I have run into several of these with a chafed wiring harness than feeds power to the coils, causing a MIL on for poor coil saturation and insufficient burn time. These are also famous for head gaskets leaking oil, from the d/s rear corner. A quick look and it will appear that the rear main is leaking, but in reality it is the head. Cam seals leak, timing belt tensioners go south, the usual OHC stuff. Also, spark plug tube gaskets leaking causing multiple and/or random misfire codes are common.

HTH,

Garth

I don't know why people pass on repairing these, I made a lot of time on this platform while I was with Chrysler. They aren't as they appear. The first one is a b1tch, but once you know where to bend your arm, and how to hold your tongue just right, they aren't that bad.

·
1,625 Posts
Sorry I did'nt get back to you... Work got crazy busy. 9 sets of tires, 2 Prostarts that weren't working, and a heater core in an 02 Ford Exploder. I was going to say the bottom is the easiest, but you know that the hard way, now, lol! BTW, watch for the cam sensor electrical plug. The coil plug and the cam sensor plug can and do interchange (if it has a single 4 tower coil, if all seperate coils, this does not apply) and will cause no start, and is a bear to trace if you don't check the wire colours. I found that out the hard way.

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
fast68 said:
ok picked up a pt cruiser at the shop to work on. maybe

2.4L in it..

problem with it is that it was runnign badly and the owner had the codes checked and they said something about cylinder 3 missing.

it started up once for us last night when we went to go haul it to the shop here on the trailer.
and was runnign very badly horribly dead missing, and then died and wont restart... it cranks over very badly.

is there something common with these?

i saw where they said that plugs and wires and EGR valve is common on these to go bad

true?

i have torn into a couple of chrysler engines like these in the past and they are no fun at all

the oil is full and is quite dark but not black yet...
no foam or water or anything in it.,

i figure to pull the plugs out and look for mechanical damage or anything else bad,, and also check compression on all cylinders.. and go from there..

any ideas what may be going on or what or how i should check ? to maybe figure this one out?

if its the timing set or valve train then i am going to pass on it...
these chryslers are even worse to take apart than the old quad 4 engines.. i know of many mechanics who pass on those even, will not touch them.

thanks
more than likely its jumped timing. its over on mileage on having timing belt replaced. the closed gap in the spark plug would be a good indicator because of it being a high interference engine.

·
1,625 Posts
These are an interferance engine. Dumb me, I was seeing 78,000 kilometers, not miles. I would recommend changing the timing belt on the used replacement engine while it is out - waaaaaay easier, and it isn't real far from it's change interval as well. Also, look for signs of oil leakage from the rear drivers side area of the head. Common head gasket leak, and again waaaay easier with the engine on a stand.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
wow major oil leak issue driver side back corner yeah like you were talking about above...

head gasket? really?

wow this is not good....

the head gasket is steel double layer shim type

oil hole in block and head isnt even near the edge of the gasket

why is there this kind of issue with these?

i dont know what we could do now at this point.

we have many days of labor into this car swapping the engine in and there would be no way to replace this gasket without pulling the engine again.

omg......

it just dumps oil out there at the top of the block deck... not sititng at idle speed but at higher than idle rpm/driving..
lots and lots of oil.. insane amounts..
now it rattles top and bottom. so its too late now,,
76k miles piston failure.
48k miles head gasket failure

wow these things are so bad,,

now i know why i had a bad feeling about this job in the beginning,,

obviously the yard apparently either didnt know the head gasket was leaking oil when they pulled the engine.. or they did knew it and didnt tell us. its interesting that the #1 spark plug was rusted badly and had been wet probably from being power washed, everything was capped off even the throttle unit with duct tape. so im sure they washed it real good.

now why would you powerwash a 48k mile engine for if there are no leaks etc.?

hmm..

and of course we had no idea it was leaking before we put it in and fired it up

i have to put the blame on the manufacturer for having a defective part. but then the yard also for seeing oil all ovger it and washing it..

then everyone including us assumed it was a good engine without any problems especialyl with having only 48k miles on it,

even if we were to get another engine from the yard who's to say it doesnt leak the same also,,?.

you wouldnt know it unless you drove it and got RPM's up to make it dump oil..

omg..

·
1,625 Posts
Yeah, they leak REAL bad if the have been left to leak for a while. The big issue with them was a 2.0L gasket on a 2.4L engine. Updated part availiable from the dealer. Glad I was able to point out the plug issue, I beat my head against a wall for hours over that one :rolleyes: .

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well we had some words with the yard that sold us the engine and they are going to warranty it and allow a return.

we have a 14k mile engine on the way from chicago through another yard and they claim it does not leak oil from this troublespot

we got this engine back out in a record time(for this vehicle anyways) of an hour and a half

i should have figured something wasnt right when i saw the duct tape over the tb unit and all the water and rust in the #1 spark plug well..

i appreciate your time and help you did help so much i dont when or if we would have ever figured out those harness plug interchangeabilities wow.

definitely says 2.0L on the head gasket on the original to the car engine when i disassembled it to find the cause of failure

it was not the easiest thing trying to explain to the owner of the car what all happened and whats going on and so on.. but i think she understands and knows,

i cant believe the things these manufacturers are doing/trying

it seems like ever since the cams have been moved to the heads there have been some major issues and failures relating to it or because of it.

IMHO

last night we got a 2000 ford focus 2.0L SOHC with a hair over 100k miles and extremely loud rattling/hammering in the top end.. did some research and some yard calling and found out no one has a good used one and that its a common issue with them, something about valves and valve seats dropping out of them.,.

good used engine is over 1000 dollars i was told...

wow......

fail..

the owner isnt willing to put that into the car and is just going to junk the car instead,.

when will the junk they make these days ever end....?

thanks again!

xie xie ni!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.