Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a first gen GMC block - 1977 350 - and I'm hitching it to a B-W T-56 trans. The bellhousing I have facilitates the 1993-97 "pull back" clutch throw-out mechanism that GM tried at that time. It was a troublesome setup and GM soon moved up to a hydraulic "push forward" throw-out bearing, but with a different bell/block bolt up pattern. I could not get mine (old pull back) to work either, so I found Bob Weir in Vallejo CA who was producing a bellhousing to facilitate the newer clutch throw-out for the old gen. 1 block bolt up. "Problem fixed!" :-D ~ except his bellhousing supplier went down before I got one and he was just about to go with another when covid stopped all that. I've been in touch with him often during this year as he tries to get his business going again, but now I don't get an answer when I call.
Is there another fix for this issue?
Thanks.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
Are you talking about the slave cylinder being a pull style? The type that hydraulics that attaché to the side of the transmission and pull the fork to the rear of the car to disengage

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you talking about the slave cylinder being a pull style? The type that hydraulics that attaché to the side of the transmission and pull the fork to the rear of the car to disengage
Mmmm, I think not. The slave with this setup pushes towards the front of the car, thus leveraging the fork towards the rear pulling the throw-out backwards. Here's the pressure plate. Fork fits around throw-out, then pulls it back when pedal is pressed.

Would it be possible to have your bellhousing modified to take a clutch fork like this from Jerry Bickel Race Cars.
That's interesting brading, I'll check into it. I'm thinking about looking into modifying my bell to mount the one-piece hydraulic throw-out (no fork involved), but I think getting all the measurements just right would be daunting for me.
Thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Should have said about using a push type pressure plate with the fork modification. Have you checked to see if anyone makes an adapter plate to go between your engine and the later bellhousing. What I have read and been told about hydro throw out bearing is not good. Apparently they are more likely to leak and when they do oil can onto the clutch driven disc. Then have box out to change the components.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Aftermarket hydraulic throwout bearings have an internet reputation of failure , folks like QuickTime make bell housing to bolt up your trans & use conventional trouble free mechanical clutch linkage there are a myriad of trans adapters available also , he's gotten old enough that he just drops his ford ranger (90's vintage) off at a shop to have his hydraulic clutch components replaced every other year , go tired of doing it himself ( and that's a factory setup)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Some pictures would be great, Is the release fork on a cross-shaft or is it tip on a fulcrum. You can change pressure to release direction by flopping the lever or fulcrum position.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I don't understand why you can not weld a gusset bracket to the bell then use a arm with a pivot point with a 1:1 ratio.

Pulling becomes pushing. Bit more linkage and possible slop. But lets you run a aftermarket pushing slave anywhere that fits(you can make the arm longer or shorter).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.