Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have my 396 engine just about ready to pull but i have a few question yet i will be taking the tranny at the same time should i drain all the fluids out if so will anything dry out also what size boults do i need to hold the motor the my engine stand i want to buy these so im ready this i my first time pulling an engine so im looking forward to it glad i marked everything and took lots of pics. thanks for any help . :pimp:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Drain everything first. You can buy a sleeve to seal the back of the trans if it doesn't have a drain plug. Be sure to remove the distributor first as it's the first thing to hit the firewall when you start lifting it.
Measure the tubes on the 'legs' of your engine stand,then buy 3/8th UNC bolts about 3/4 inch longer on the shank. Be sure to use a large dia flat washer so the bolt doesn't pull into the tube.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Well, simply..... :rolleyes:

K I S S

You aren't going to mount the engine on the engine stand with the transmission still on it.

So just use the bellhousing bolts you already have as a pattern for size, thread, and length.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have come to the sad reality of my wild cat four door being a lead sled never going to see a 12 sec slip. But the engine on the other hand I'am going to pull and put in some thing a lot lighter. Do I realy have to do any thing major If I pulling the trans and engine together? it will be my first v8 pull.

·
Registered
13 Posts
match the bell housing bolts

You should pull one of the bell housing bolts, then measure the depth of the mounting brackets on your stand. I don't think the existing bell housing bolts will be long enough, depending on the type of stand, but if you pull one, you'll have the diameter and thread type to match them up, just buy longer ones, my guess would be 2.5", and make sure they're adequate strength wise, I'd suggest minimum grade 5, which you can tell by looking at the top of the bolt, it has 3 lines on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't have a engine stand but I have this thing thats about Five feet long
and 2 1/2 wide thats made out of tube steel I;ll just chain it to that. any thing to get it of the ground. thanx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts