Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I don't know much behind the idea of different end types but I have a set of 1 piece pushrods and a set with the welded balls on the end. Which should I use? What are the advantages of each if any? Please let me know.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
The ones with the welded balls cannot be used with guide plates and are not considered 'hardened'. They are a stock style pushrod to be used on a Gen1 SBC where either the head or the rocker are the aligning methods used.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Ball tipped pushrods are plain mild steel and will fold up like spaghetti with high rate valve springs.

Use Comp Cams Hi Tech series pushrods and are mandatory with high rate valve springs. They are hardened, one piece, .080" wall, chromoly steel. I have also used Smith Bros pushrods with solid lifters. Those are the same quality as Comp Cams HI Tech pushrods and are available with a .040" oil feed hole in the lifter end for rocker arm oil restriction. Rocker arm oil restriction is essential with solid lifters.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Alright guys I don't know much behind the idea of different end types but I have a set of 1 piece pushrods and a set with the welded balls on the end. Which should I use? What are the advantages of each if any? Please let me know.
How they are manufactured does not tell you what they are made of or if they are heat treated.

Diameter and heat treat are what matter, there are plenty of multipiece quality heat treated pushrods as well as quality one piece pushrods. Larger diameter, thicker walls and heat treat means a stiffer pushrod, tip style has only a small effect on durability/strength/stiffness.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,963 Posts
To add to the above the welded ball ends can break off and create problems you don't want.
The one piece hardened ones are a bit more money so if you can swing it you're buy a bit of insurance.
3/8 thick with .080 wall is fine for most street engines but if going all out the 7/16ths or 1/2" are stiffer and weigh less for the added strength.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Comp Cams Hi-Tech 5/16" chromoly pushrods is all you will ever need for a SB Chevrolet with a hydraulic lifter camshaft. SB Chevrolet with solid lifters need Smith Brothers 5/16" chromoly restricted oiling pushrods with a .040" oil feed hole and use full roller rocker arms.

Smith Bros .083" wall chromoly restricted pushrods are not for "part timers". They cost $300 for a set of 16 pushrods. If you want to dance, you must pay the fiddler.

The same applies to Pontiac engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts