Hot Rod Forum banner

putting a vacuum advance distributor on a 4.9 Caddy v8

5K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
I am doing a build with a Caddy 4.9

This will be a carb'd engine and I will be using a distributor from the older 4.5 version of the engine and no ECM.

I am told I need to use this distributor with the internal mechanism from an older engine to get a free standing weights/vacuum advance. It may be the 4.1 distributor from 1983, but I am not sure and I am looking for advice before I buy.

Does anybody know which older distributor is the proper donor for this modification?

Thanks,

and BTW, I don't want EFI on this one

#11 ·
I tried Joe Padavano for a PM and no luck
I never got the PM. I don't know Caddy motors, but I've never heard of an Olds distributor fitting a Caddy. The only exception is the 76-79 Sevilles and 79 Eldo that used the 350 Olds motor (so obviously an Olds distributor fits those). The Olds uses a hex oil pump drive - all other GM distributors I've seen use a flat blade drive in the distributor gear.

More importantly, the top photo is a Caddy 4.1 distributor, the bottom is an Olds (all 1964-1990 Olds V8s use the same distributor). Do the look like they interchange?

#10 ·
I am doing a build with a Caddy 4.9

This will be a carb'd engine and I will be using a distributor from the older 4.5 version of the engine and no ECM.

I am told I need to use this distributor with the internal mechanism from an older engine to get a free standing weights/vacuum advance. It may be the 4.1 distributor from 1983, but I am not sure and I am looking for advice before I buy.

Does anybody know which older distributor is the proper donor for this modification?

Thanks,

and BTW, I don't want EFI on this one
The Olds 307 was mentioned, but the following link is to a thread that will shed some light on it all. The Fiero forums in general have a lot of Cad info, including non feedback distributor/carb swap.

CARBED 4.9 SWAP INQUIRY - Pennock's Fiero Forum

#13 ·
I got another answer

A fellow I contacted at the Fiero Forum says I use the internals from a Pontiac v8 301 350 400 or 455. Apparently the internals just slide in.

Thanks for the info Joe, interestingly my Chevy V6 uses a hex drive on the distributor too. That is the 2.8,3.1,3.4 series

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.