Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after ordering two 160* high flow thermostats (no one around here had any) and a mechanical temp gauge from Summit, I wound up sending the thermostats back (they sent the wrong ones), and this morning I sent the temp gauge back. It had been sold before (the installation instructions were covered with greasy finger prints and, of course, the gauge didn't work. Every once in a while Summit just totally screws up but at least they always make it right.

Anyway, changed the sender on the electric temp gauge and that didn't solve the problem. So the only other thing I could do was change the wire from the sender to the gauge. Installed a temporary new wire and the gauge read 185*. So.... I figured thats the problem. I'll just fish a new wire through the firewall and problem solved. NOT SO FAST.... that didn't solve the problem either. With the new wire the gauge still slowly went up to 220 before I shut it off. OK so now the only thing that could conceivably be the problem, is the gauge itself. The idea that a brand new gauge could be bad really ticks me off but I know it does happen so I made a quick trip to the local auto parts store. Picked up a small Sunpro mechanical temp gauge and with that installed the hemi sits at 155* (38* outside air temp) and won't go any higher which is just about what I thought it was doing all along. I guess the brand new electric temp gauge will be going back to the manufacturer for replacement and I can consider another one of the "new rod" bugs worked out.

Centerline
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Even though it was a real pain to figure out. At least it wasn't something really bad. I had a temp climbing problem with my 351M powered 53 Ford and I jumped thru a dozen hoops until I found the problem. Turns out I needed a bigger radiator. Glad to see you got it fixed.:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
i had a similar problem.the 305 blew up in my van so i built a 350 and put it in and should have been a strong runner but the heat guage kept saying it was to hot and not wanting to waste a new motor i took it out and put the new 406 i had sitting on the shelf for my nova resto. in and it did the same thing before i realized that when i didn't use the computer that was on the 305 in the other two motors i also didn't change the sending unit under the hood and find the right one for my new engines.anyway i put a posi 10 bolt from a camaro in it and the 406 is alot of fun now.now i'm thinking of turning the 350 into a 383.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top