Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does one exist? The Q-Jet is a far more accurate carb than a holley, and I have more expirience tuning them.... Id like to run one on my 302 in my daily driver...

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
302 Ford? Chevy? I imagine you are referring to a Ford because any 350 Chevy intake will fit a 302 Chev. Anyway back to your question, I have seen spread bore intakes for Fords but they were for Holley spread bore carbs. Interesting question because I like the Quad for street use also, an adapter plate could be fabricated but you know how those are :rolleyes: Have you considered an Autolite four barrel carb, they bolt up to a Holley bolt pattern and are very tunable because every 2bbl uses the same parts-they are spread bores also. I don't think there are many people that want a Quadrajet on their Ford so the demand is low. Too bad because the Quad is a great carb and good for mileage around town.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
I seem to remember the Edelbrock Streetmaster single plane intake manifold was designed for a spread bore carb and had lots of meat for machining modification, might have to weld on some bosses for the rear bolts though. These intakes are long out of production and were really mileage intakes with smallish ports, exhaust heat passages and a small plenum volume. Might be a good candidate for your bridgeport, I ran one on a 351W back in 85 and the engine had a 290 duration Cam Dynamics camshaft. Good street intake I thought with good distribution, low rise too so there is no worries about hood clearance. That engine put out 375 HP with 450 ft/pds of torque and I ran it through our -40 Celcius winters, I was happy I got the heated intake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Edelbrock makes manifolds that accept edelbrock carbs.Now don't get mad at me,but aren't
edelbrock carbs the same bolt on patterns
as qjets.E-mail their tech support to find out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Q-Jet is the best fuel mixer ever made... other than EFI, whick I have a hard time justifying for a Country Squire...

Wellcontrol, The Big E makes Q-Jets, but their basic carbs are square bore like a holley...

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
FORD used the Q-Jet in the late sixties/early-mid seventies for emission purposes. It is the Autolite/Motorcraft 4300 D series and they are plentiful.

I had one on a 73 Ranchero 351 Cobra-Jet and to me it was a pile of junk...but to each his own.

The 4300 A Series is square bore and the 4300 D is spread bore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello, i just registered here.

i was searching for information on the edelbrock streetmaster for a 351w.

i just bought it from ebay and was trying to find any information on the intake.

i have only been able to find vague info on it. i was wondering what rpm's it made power to.

if any of y'all happen to know.

any other info would be a plus.

sorry to be the noob who brings up 6 month old posts btw :rolleyes:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just want to throw my 2 cents in for the Qjet. I have been having some trouble with mine but think they are a very good carb for street use and racing. I like the small primaries and the huge secondaries. I recently rebuilt one and they are not to difficult. I have one on my 350 that runs and idles great except for the secondaries not opening. I will be putting the rebuilt one on this weekend. I will report in as to how it is running. I am running a AFB on my Pontiac with edlebrock manifold and am thinking about goint to the stock manifold with a Qjet. It is a 428 and have never been really happy with the 800 Holley or AFB I have had on it. When the Qjet is set up right its a great carb. I'm running mine right now without a choke and it starts fine and just takes a little while to warm up. Once it does it idles better than when I had the AFB on it and runs so smooth you don't know its running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No. I must disagree. The computer controlled GM Q-jet was the most efficient carburetor known to man. Warren Johnson runs 2 of them on his 6 second Pro Stock Grand Am......LOL

·
Registered
268 Posts
blkjack said:
No. I must disagree. The computer controlled GM Q-jet was the most efficient carburetor known to man. Warren Johnson runs 2 of them on his 6 second Pro Stock Grand Am......LOL

I have one for sale if you want to buy it

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
blkjack said:
That, my friend is a downright lie!!! Don't you know that he uses 12 stromberg 97s on a log manifold? It's totally top secret, it's hidden underneath that sheetmetal intake and those dominators are dummies. That's his secret to power, and he's got everyone fooled. What a smart guy!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts