Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
86 chevi with a stock carb #17083204 it was 305 in the truck i built 350 and
put in it heavy cam and somewhere around 10.1 comp
any way it run realy runs rich tried adjusting still runs rich if the misture sollinoid is not hooked up would that be prob for the idling being rich
what would the be cfm for carb and the pros and cons of this model carb
any tips on a rebuild other than a normal rebuild would be helpful
thanks for all in put :welcome:

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
bocephus86 said:
86 chevi with a stock carb #17083204 it was 305 in the truck i built 350 and
put in it heavy cam and somewhere around 10.1 comp
any way it run realy runs rich tried adjusting still runs rich if the misture sollinoid is not hooked up would that be prob for the idling being rich
what would the be cfm for carb and the pros and cons of this model carb
any tips on a rebuild other than a normal rebuild would be helpful
thanks for all in put :welcome:
If you aren't using the ECM, you will need to run a pre-ECM (non- mixture solenoid and TPS) Q-Jet and distributor, used mostly '80-back except for some newer truck-type apps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cobalt327 said:
If you aren't using the ECM, you will need to run a pre-ECM (non- mixture solenoid and TPS) Q-Jet and distributor, used mostly '80-back except for some newer truck-type apps.
i did'nt think a 86 chevi truck had a ecm thought it was 87 up
i know the in and outs of 65-78 chevi 4x4 but not a lot time put in to the 86 thanks

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
bocephus86 said:
i did'nt think a 86 chevi truck had a ecm thought it was 87 up
That may be the case. I can't speak for all of them, but I bought an '86 engine from a Sierra that was a non-feedback, non TPS-type carb, just as you suggest. Distributor was the early-style non-ECM unit, too.

It was your question of the rich condition being due to the solenoid not being hooked up that led me to believe you had a car engine possibly w/the feedback carb. That's why I said to look for a carb from "'80-back except for some newer truck-type apps.".

Bottom line- Q-Jet w/solenoid will not run w/o computer without a lot of work on the carb. Enough so, that I never have bothered w/doing anything except using a non-FB carb and dist. to match.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after sitting a few days i pumped the throttle without starting it and watched thefuel spray it was dry with 1 full pump is normal with model carb
i know the wells where prone to leak on the older ones

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.