Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a rebuilt Quadrajet and it was supposed to be for an automatic trans which my car has but according to the serial numbers it is for a manual one. Anyone know what the difference might be. Also there is a round tube in the front sticking up that is about 5/8" dia - hollow - and sticks up about 5/8". It won't let the Edelbrock air cleaner fit down on the carb. Is it something I can cut shorter if the carb will work on my car. I have a 67 Firebird with a 73 400 engine. THe carb # is 7043563. Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Carb

If you do not have a throttle valve cable(TV) on your transmission and it is just a vacuum modulator controlled you should be able to use it. ..BUT the tube you are refering to is a purge & designed for factory air cleaners. Some aftermarket air cleaners like you have now have a small circle in them for you to knock out so it will fit the carb.
But again if it's not too much trouble I would take it back and get another carb. Get you one for a 1970 Pontiac. That 73 version is a de-tuned Q-jet. Get one for a 70 455 Catalina or Bonneville.
If you decide you are going to install the factory Ram Air you will need that carb. That purge tube will restrict the Ram Air Base plate.
I've done a lot of Firebirds and I would take the carb back if possible. If you start getting into performance goodies for your 67 you will then find the need for Q-jet performance re-build if you keep it. Q-jet's from the 70's will supply everything you need without any special rebuilds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts