Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still working on tuning in my q-jet and made a few discoveries. I reinstalled my fuel pressure regulator and found I was at about 7.5 psi. At that pressure I could run the truck without the accelerator pump connected and noticed no difference. Running rich. I have been turning down the pressure and seeing much better performance. At 6 psi there is hesitation without the accelerator pump but it still smelled rich. It is now at 5 psi and seems a bit better. Nice even transition through the gears and goes into the secondaries smoothly. I will be installing an O2 sensor today to see where I really am rich to lean. I talked to a guy running a 427 at 3 psi and it was happy there.

I am posting this because I haven't been able to find a lot of information on what pressure the q-jet likes best. BTW I am running a stock mechanical fuel pump with inline filter and carb filter. 350 chevy auto 72 pickup headers, MSD ready to run and factory alum intake off a vet. Jet performance q-jet with 73/43 jet/rod combination. APT set with rod in per spec. Idle mixture screws at highest rpm and full manifold vacuum to the distributor. I don't have a ported source but wouldn't use it anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.