Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the engine running , fairly well . I shut engine off and I have a terrible time starting it , I just put a 1" phenolic spacer under the carb. I think my problem is the choke . Not electrical and no tubes running from exhaust manifold . I'll post pictures so someone in the know could tell me what the choke problem is . The car ran for a 1/2 hour and the choke would not open . I've wired it open to start it . Thank You , Bob , I do not know how this choke works or if all the vaccuum hoses are hooked up correctly

Attachments

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
From what I just looked up you have a divorced choke style on your carburetor. Below is a link you can check out. It has been a very long time since I have seen a choke style used like that and I can't remember all the ins and outs on how it works but I know the choke is hooked up to the intake manifold and as the intake heats up the rod will pull open up the choke through all its hookups. On the link it explains better then I can.

"
The divorced choke type has the thermostat mounted in the intake manifold instead of on the carburetor. In this illustration, the arrow points to the thermostat which is covered by a metal shield. A rod connects the thermostat to the choke lever, which controls the choke valve to be opened, or closed. As the intake manifold heats up, the thermostat mounted, expands, opening the choke valve.

Divorced Choke

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Looks like your Qjet does not have the choke hooked up from what I can tell and I am guessing the plate that is blocked off on your intake is the exhaust gas re circulation valve that you perhaps took off and if I am wrong hopefully somebody will come in and correct but I don't think your intake has the provision for the divorced choke coil that bolts on the side of it. Your intake looks like a later model that has the electric choke style Qjet.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
He’s got a hot air choke intake and a divorced choke carb Eric.
the carb needs to be swapped or the intake swapped.
or use an electric choke conversion kit like here.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I am not an expert on the Qjet carbs but I could tell that it was not matched up carb to intake wise as I only worked on one before and it was a late 80's chevy caprice and it had the electric choke on the carb. I know the divorced choke styles was a 70's thing before the electric versions was done. Thanks for the update (y).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all that replied , I do appreciate the replys . I am sure about the mis matched parts . I"ll keep digging .
Bob

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
You have nothing controlling the choke. The choke is controlled by a thermostatic coil spring that is either divorced which means the spring is in a housing mounted above the exhaust heat crossover of the intake or inside a boss cast into the heat crossover either connected to the choke linkage by an intermediate link. Or the thermostatic spring can be integral on the carburetor being heated by a tube that pulls fresh outside air that then loops either in the exhaust crossover passage or the exhaust manifold or the bimetallic spring coil may be electrically heated. Any of these provide the motor force that opens and closes the choke. The vacuum pull off only provides an additional force to insure the choke plate is pulled open and the idle is off the fast idle cam whether the throttle is blipped enough to release the cam or not. It is an efficiency/emissions device to insure the choke opens and the idle slows when a cold start mixture is no longer needed.

As of your pictures the choke is uncommanded and is sitting in what appears to be your base setting, the only force that would or could move it is air flow into the engine, when the engineis stopped it probably stays where it last was.

The history of Q-Jets include models that moved exhaust gasses around the throttle body base. These may include passages and routings not necessarily used any more especially on an aftermarket intake so it is necessary to be sure your using the correct gaskets between the intake and carb. I’ve also had a few intakes over the years that didn’t support the edge sealing of the carburetor well on the passenger side, these could ever so slightly leak air making the engine hard to start and messing up the idle.

Bogie

·
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"
1,126 Posts
Remove the spring behind the choke pod with needle noise plier. It,s drowning the motor when it is warm. That spring is a PITA.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remove the spring behind the choke pod with needle noise plier. It,s drowning the motor when it is warm. That spring is a PITA.
Now before I would remove this spring , why is it there ? It would be destoyed if I just took it off with neddle nose pliers .
Thanks , I think I will probly go with the electric choke conversion .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I just looked up you have a divorced choke style on your carburetor. Below is a link you can check out. It has been a very long time since I have seen a choke style used like that and I can't remember all the ins and outs on how it works but I know the choke is hooked up to the intake manifold and as the intake heats up the rod will pull open up the choke through all its hookups. On the link it explains better then I can.

"
The divorced choke type has the thermostat mounted in the intake manifold instead of on the carburetor. In this illustration, the arrow points to the thermostat which is covered by a metal shield. A rod connects the thermostat to the choke lever, which controls the choke valve to be opened, or closed. As the intake manifold heats up, the thermostat mounted, expands, opening the choke valve.

Divorced Choke

You are right , all that have replied , I thank you . I removed a Qjet from this intake .It had tubing coming from the left of the silver block off plate that I installed .A larger block off plate , there were two tubes coming out of the opening that went to the Qjet I removed . My newer , rebuilt carb does not have the same tubes that went to the removed carb .I think I'll go with the electric choke or see how it runs always open like I have it wired now . I will only drive this car in the spring , summer and fall , Bob

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
You can’t leave it wired like that.
For two reasons.
First is your secondaries won’t open. You’ll just have a 2 barrel carb like that.
secondly that linkage arm hole you have the wire hooked to moves vertically. Upward on that linkage is choke off.
best to go electric Choke kit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can’t leave it wired like that.
For two reasons.
First is your secondaries won’t open. You’ll just have a 2 barrel carb like that.
secondly that linkage arm hole you have the wire hooked to moves vertically. Upward on that linkage is choke off.
best to go electric Choke kit.
That's probly what I'll do . Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are right , all that have replied , I thank you . I removed a Qjet from this intake .It had tubing coming from the left of the silver block off plate that I installed .A larger block off plate , there were two tubes coming out of the opening that went to the Qjet I removed . My newer , rebuilt carb does not have the same tubes that went to the removed carb .I think I'll go with the electric choke or see how it runs always open like I have it wired now . I will only drive this car in the spring , summer and fall , Bob
I was wrong about the plate , Here's a pict. of what I removed . I then covered the hole .
IMG_1472.JPG

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SEE PICT. BELOW

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So this set up came with the 76 Qjet , Chevy , I also have a Buick 68 Qjet , and a 79 E-Choke on my 55 , that is blocked off , always open , They all work the same , full throttle the secondaries are all the way open . On this existing carb I'm having issues with , the secondaries only open parcial . From watching all the carbs it looks like I need to bend the arm so it hits the secondary arm sooner . Am I right . The verticle arm does not hit the arm that is about 45 degrees , until I'm almost at full throttle . I can acuate the rear shaft and it will open the secondaries all the way . Does this need to be done ? Am I missing something ? I open the front flap and hold it open . the little wire holding it open has been removed . Also I'm opening by hand as I have unhooked the linkage . Thanks again , Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Here's a picture of how most divorced choke gm qjet chokes are set up. BTW most carburetor linkage does not take kindly to bending , generally there's a way to adjjhst , not bend !

·
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"
1,126 Posts
Now before I would remove this spring , why is it there ? It would be destoyed if I just took it off with neddle nose pliers .
Thanks , I think I will probly go with the electric choke conversion .
I had a 69 Caprice with a 4 barrel qjet 350/300 hp with no spring behind the choke pod. I replaced the qjet with another one and it had that spring and had trouble trying to start it. I rippéd that spring behind the pod and the problem went away. The choke flap stays open when the motor is warm.

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,770 Posts
He’s got a hot air choke intake and a divorced choke carb Eric.
the carb needs to be swapped or the intake swapped.
or use an electric choke conversion kit like here.

That’s sweet. I didn’t know that there was an electric choke kit for the heat stove type. I’ve replaced several of the type mounted on the carb with electric.

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,770 Posts

"

Divorced Choke

The divorced choke uses an enclosed bi-metal spring mounted to the heat crossover area of the intake manifold and hooked to a link which hooks to the choke linkage on the carb. Best to spring for the $60 electric conversion. The manifold mounted choke stove had no adjustment. The vacuum choke pull off is an essential adjustment no matter what type of choke you use.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts