Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am going to soon be in the market for a new bench vise. I did a search here but couldn't find any recommendations on brand. I have seen the "Wilton" brand down at the local hardware store, but I don't know anything about them. Basically what I am looking for is a quality vise that will last for a long time. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
you need more than one.

My son and I work in the shop. building cars part time and doing other repair work for neighbors. I have a wilton and it's been good vise, a lot of use in the last 25 years ... counting .there's quick action on the drill press, milling machine has it's own, a bench vise on the table next to welder. heavy Portable vise, low mount on steel pipe and old truck wheel stand, small tall portable on pipe -plow disc stand ,4 x 4 southworth hydralic lift table with small trailer receiver hitch tubes at 90 and 45 degres around the edges . pipe vise and small vise, hosfield bender. small brake with heavy wall trailer hitch tubes on bottom to drop into table and adjust to working height. receiver tubing also welded to trailer and to flat bed truck so tools can be taken to the field. I also like the wood worker vise with the 2 crank handles to tighten the vise. the table top one is easier to use than one with legs ..better for holding long pieces. and an adjustable pipefitter's jack stand

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Old........look on ebay, there's probably a hundred of them for sale, some new, some used, some broken. Remember that Wilton's come in various grades, there are your generic home garage cast iron units that you can buy at the hardware store for $75 or so which are just fine for most guy's. Then there are the "machinist bench vice" that are made with forgings........much better, much heavier and much more money....take your pick.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Another vote for Wilton.

Timo, a great rundown of vices. I like your ideal of receiver hitches located around a bench. Many times, I have wished I could move the vice to another position on the table. Will not be long until I have "Porta-stations" on my steel table!!!

Trees

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Wilton is a good vise. Also Desmond-Stephens, Reed, older Craftsman are just a few. Do a search on something like Craigslist in your local area to see what turns up. A lot of the older vises are way better built than the newer ones of today. They just might need a little TLC with a paint job and some scrubbing.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I realize I first made this post a few months ago, but I finally got a vise, I picked up an old Reed vise from a co-worker for $50 I think it was a pretty good deal, I believe it is a machinist vise, will try and post some pics tommorow.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
the oldest, heaviest, most overbuilt, nastist beastie vise you can find. Usually at estate sales held at old farms, antique farm auctions, etc. If it makes the springs sag when you put it in the back of your truck, it's probably what I'm talking about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.