Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling one of my projects and starting out on another, a lakes modified roadster on a Model A frame. I am interested in using quarter elliptic springs on front as many have. I have several magazine articles that show these cars yet not enough detail to tell how it was built. Anyone build one or know of any info on building same?

Speedway sells the springs and adjustable mounts. Posies does also. I am interesting in the construction details and how the entire front suspension works with these. Do you need a panhard bar to hold the axle in alignment sideways for instance?

I am planning on using either hairpins or, more likely, original Ford wishbones split.

Appreciate any info.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I had thought seriously about using quarter elliptic springs on an A or T build I was contemplating. May still use it on the Nash project. Here are some pics I have collected over the last couple of years. I have more if you need something specific. I have not seen a panhard used on any of the pics I have. I have seen a steering damper on a couple.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great photos. They explain much. It appears that the springs themselves hold the axle in side to side alignment thus no need for a panhard bar.

Another question along this same line involves steering for a lakes modified. Most I have seen have some sort of sprint car steering box arrangement with the sector coming out through the side of the car with pitman arm and a long drag link going forward. This looks more traditional since the steering column visible inside the car is lying nearly flat down for that real ol timey look that you can't get with a vega box on the frame. Two kinds of sprint car steering that I have seen used are Frankland and Schroeder. Has anyone had any experience with either of these or any other type? Any idea where to pick up this stuff used? Everything I have seen new is pricey!

By the way gas tanks for this type of car are readily available from www.gasalleystreetrods.com along with lots of other nice stuff. I have been searching for a place to find these tanks for a year or more.

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
home brew said:
Here are some pics I have collected over the last couple of years. I have more if you need something specific.
if you have the time, i would LOVE to get any and all pictures ? info you have on 1/4 elipticals

they will be used when i get back to designing my "free t bucket plans" over the winter

email: [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts