Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 53 Chevy and 53 GMC share all the same sheetmetal? I am curious because I am picking up a GMC and wanted to make sure that I can readily get the replacement parts and looking at them they look pretty close as far as the footprint.

Also if anyone has any info on the motors in those things I would appreciate it. All I know is that it is a 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also if anyone has a good source for the metal panels that they would recommend. I know Classic has some.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I believe the front fenders and hood are slightly different (due to the shape of the grill) but that's all.

For replacement panels check with Classic Parts or Brothers Truck Parts and for general info about AD trucks go to the Stovebolt Pages

·
Registered
168 Posts
53GMC Pickup

Engines are entirely different, Chevy is a 216 or maybe a 235, no inserts, babbit bearings. GMC has real inserts and is prbably a 270.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not sure if GMC had a different engine or not...didn't think so but what do I know. Chevy's had a 216 I6 until 54 when they went to the 235 which did have inserts. As for body parts...what Centerline said is correct, the grill on GMC's were different which affected the fenders and hood. Classic (formerly Chevy Duty) is a good resource.

Barry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gmc

It's been my impression that the front fenders ARE interchangeable. up to a certain year, but GMC has a hole below each headlight for running lights. You may want to fill this hole for Chevy use. I don't remember if '53 is when GMC went to that large grill that extended out to the outer edge of the fender. If that is the case, you will see the molded impessions on the lower front of the fender. The front edge of a GMC hood is different from Chevy's so they are not interchangeable.
Here is a good GMC site:

WWW.OLDGMCTRUCKS.COM

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yep, fenders are interchangeable, as is everything else from the firewall back - both inside and out, with the exception of the dash on certain years. As mentioned before, the hood, grille surround, and grille are not interchangeable. Headlights interchange, but parking lights/turn signals are just different enough that you'll need to change both if you decide to go that route - they'll bolt up, but they look different enough that you'll notice it from a mile away if you have one of each. The gravel pan that goes between the bumper and the front sheet metal is a bit different too, but it will swap from Chevy to GMC and vice versa with no problem.

Lots of people who can't find GMC front sheet metal have gone with Chevy front ends as the GMC grille surrounds, hoods, and grilles are getting hard to find - comparatively speaking, that is. If you decide that you have to go with a Chevy grille and hood, be ready to stop calling it a GMC to everyone except the DMV - unless, of course, you like to explain to people why it's a GMC with a Chevy front end…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts