Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 s10 pickup with a 2.2 engine.. since i bought the truck the fuel gauge hasent worked,i have checked all the fuses and they are fine. Isn't there a way to check the gauge in the dash,with out pulling the dash apart?? I remember someone telling me before that theres a way to ground it,but thats been along time ago..any advice would be great

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
It could be the sending unit in the tank, and yes you can ground it out to test the gauge should be a purple and a black wire you just have to figure out which wire you need i am trying to remember, hope this helps alittle anyway. Cole

·
Registered
792 Posts
My Mustang fuel float sending unit at the tank has one wire.
The sending unit is a potentiometer that varies resistance to ground depending on float position.

I unpluged the fuel level float sending unit wire and momentarily touched the wire to ground with ignition switch on to see if fuel gauge worked.

You can test the sending unit by connecting an ohm meter(one lead to sending unit and other lead to ground). When you fill the tank you should see resistance reading changing on your meter.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you're talking about were it plugs up at the fuel tank ?,right.. or to the fuel sending unit.. thanks for the help

eloc431962 said:
It could be the sending unit in the tank, and yes you can ground it out to test the gauge should be a purple and a black wire you just have to figure out which wire you need i am trying to remember, hope this helps alittle anyway. Cole

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.