Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AMC 360 in my 75 jeep. I was wondering if Chrysler heads can be put on this motor or do i have to stick with AMC heads? If they will not fit why not? Would the bolt patterns for the heads be different?
Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
yes, they bolt on....but I think ( could be mistaken) the 401 cumbustion chambers dont work with the 360s bore

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,781 Posts
360 and 401 heads are the same. The 304 heads have smaller valves. 360/401 heads won't fit a 304 because of the smaller bore. Well, they fit if the bore is notched near the top, but valve shrouding negates any improvement.

AMC heads are some of the best flowing iron heads ever made. They are comparable to Chevy LS-1 heads in terms of flow. Just a little clean-up work in the ports will make a big improvement! The Chrysler Magnum heads were based on the AMC design -- remember that Chrysler bought AMC out in late 1987.

Don't fall for the "319 heads are the best" bull either (319 is the last three digits of the casting number). 319 heads were made for 1970 and half of 71. They have smaller combustion chambers than later heads, but are otherwise the same. Get the right pistons for the desired compression and there is no problem. All 1970 and later AMC heads havethe "dogleg" exhaust port that increased flow over 1966-69 rectangular exhaust port heads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts