Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I was wondering about using Imron pain to paint an engine block, aluminum heads, and a large timing chain cover on a Ford modular motor. I had used Imron back in the early 80's to paint a water cooled bike engine (a 1300 Kawi) and it was very tough, shined like mad, and stuck like glue. Can you still buy Imron, is it a good choice for an engine block, and if not what will give me similar performance? I still remember shooting that stuff in a heated, sealed warehouse without a mask, I guess I am lucky I can still breathe.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
234 Posts
Imron IS different today. It's still a tough paint!! Imron is polyurethane VS other paints out there and is more acid and chemical resistant than others. I like using it for items where a perfect finish is not a priority(i.e. trailers, machinery, etc) I've painted a few aircraft parts with it and it does lay nice and smooth with a good gloss, but it will never be as deep as Base/clear, that's why I would never paint a car with it. Color choices are also slim. There's an Imron 9000 system that is a base/clear system, but I think you'll have a hard time finding a dealer with that mixing system. Dan

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Imron is nothing like it use to be up to mid 80's as far as strength and durability and most of these changes were made for usability but bottom line is, it is still one hell of a paint.

Anyone tells you they have something as good, all you need to ask if it is "skydrol" approved. That will separate the men from the boys real quick and end all conversation.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
In my book its the best test there ever was to strive for passing with a coating if your looking for durability and quality.

Although, as I understand it, skydrol is no longer used for environmental purposes the standard is still used for passenger (for hire) commerical flying planes when choosing a paint.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
skydrol? what test proceedures were used?

Engine blocks start with a thorough degreasing, shot cleaning if possible, then two coats of epoxy primer followed by a urethane paint-never had any durability problems. BC/CC works fine.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Skydrol is similar to Dot3 brake fluid and different air lines test different ways the theory is since the lines will tend to drip or leak they don't want paint flaking off at 35,000 feet and getting in the engine.

The tests I have been involved with (only two airlines) they let the paint set seven days and then apply what would look like a skating rink over the paint and fill with about an 1/8 inch of the fluid. One let set 30 minutes and one keeps it wet for 60 minutes. Any dulling or lifting the test is done.
the one air line once a paint goes through that test and the other pre-screening tests for the second test would freeze a painted panel to 150 below zero and then heat to 150 degrees and do this four times (a paint cycle) and then do the skating rink test over again along with the elongation, abrasive and shock tests.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
S-W claims their Prizm (that is the M-S name, not sure what the S-W is) which is the latest fleet paint holds up to Skydrol but I wonder if it was tested like that? That is pretty brutal.

Brian

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Could very well hold up.

Pratt Lambert was the jet coating leaders for years and of course S&W bought them about 3-7 years ago so they now have the polyurethane technology if they want it.

I have never herd of a urethane passing, so I would assume it is a polyurethane coating. 3:1, 2:1 or 1:1

·
Registered
717 Posts
speaking of chemical resistance. this summer when i was putting a finish on the trim in my house, i used a conversion varnish from a company called lenmar. i have used this stuff on and off for years on wood. great stuff, not exactly sure what the stuff is but the catalyst is some type of acid. i have never seen anything so chemical resistant in my life. the stuff is still on the cup and lid of my spray gun which i soaked in a 5 gallon vat of methylene chloride for a week. it didn't touch it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts