Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put a raytek IR temp gun on my aluminum oil pan am I getting an accurate reading of the oil(trannny)In this case would the pan be an insulator of heat(not accurate temp)or a good conductor and have an almost accurate reading?Thanks bm

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, the pan can be an insulator. It's influence as an insulator decreases as the system reaches a (variable) thermal balance, at which time the difference in actual fluid temp, AKA deta T, is not a major factor. As you know, temps will vary with loading or how hard the trans is working.

Point your gun at your cooler lines going in and coming out of both the trans and radiator.

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old Rotor Flap said:
Yes, the can can be an insulator. It's influence as an insulator decreases as the system reaches a (variable) thermal balance, at which time the difference in actual fluid temp, AKA deta T, is not a major factor. As you know, temps will vary with loading or how hard the trans is working.

Point your gun at your cooler lines going in and coming out of both the trans and radiator.
good idea thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.