Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hudson 308 that I am rebuilding and have an original NOS set of 0.01 over pinned pistons but have been unable to locate 0.01 over pinned rings for the pistons. I have located a new set of 0.02 over pinned rings and I was planning to file fit them. I realize that the circumference of the rings is slightly different but they seem to fit in the 0.01 over bore fine. Does anyone have any thoughts on me using the slightly large pinned rings this way? Failing this, I will need to buy brand new non pinned pistons at 0.02 over, rebore the block to 0.02 and buy new non pinned rings to fit.

·
Registered
13,567 Posts
I have a Hudson 308 that I am rebuilding and have an original NOS set of 0.01 over pinned pistons but have been unable to locate 0.01 over pinned rings for the pistons. I have located a new set of 0.02 over pinned rings and I was planning to file fit them. I realize that the circumference of the rings is slightly different but they seem to fit in the 0.01 over bore fine. Does anyone have any thoughts on me using the slightly large pinned rings this way? Failing this, I will need to buy brand new non pinned pistons at 0.02 over, rebore the block to 0.02 and buy new non pinned rings to fit.
What will happen is the ring will slightly crimp opposite the gap, probably not enough to see with naked eye, but enough to cause bore wear and gas leakage problems. I'd recommend looking at available rings by dimension, Hastings used to carry some 3 ring sets that fit. File the end gaps to fit the pin, run without the bottom oil ring.

Bogie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts