Hot Rod Forum banner

Question about wires?

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  raguza123 
#1 ·
I am using Accel Hi-Temp Super Stockcopper core 7mm wires and I am finding when I ohmed them out that from one end to the other end I am getting no ohms but a dead short, is this normal?:confused:

#4 ·
Thanks Al, I just got off the phone with Accel, the tech claims that the copper core will not ohm out except that it will give me continuity only and that these ignition wires are ment for a points ingition system, I should be using carbon core wires.\, with my Pertronix ignitor system

#5 ·
Hi there
Copper leads or copper wire, same applies.
Yeah the chart will give you very small readings for copper so if you know the diameter of the copper or AWG ( American Wire Gauge) it will give you fractions of an ohm, not much. From that chart 18 AWG copper has 21 ohms/ km so for a plug lead being 500mm long for example you would only have a fraction of an ohm or next to nothing showing on a standard workshop meter.
I guess if you have the wrong leads there is always ebay:)
Al

#6 ·
I understand that when I went from a points ignition to electronic conversion, I needed to up grade my wires too, as the copper/nickel core which are like a 18 ga. wire would be better for points , an Accel tech said the performance would be better with carbon core wires.
There is very little resisitance with these wires, I'm running a Pertronix Ignitor Conversion kit with an Accel super stock coil(canister style) and a ballast resistor of 1.85 ohms

#9 ·
I did find a set, they had only one type Accel Super Stock radio suspression core, I know how much you all don't like Accel, I just found out they aren't made here, they were made in my home town back in the day when Echlin owned them.
Anyway new readings:
Coil lead 5,500
#1 31"long 11,000
#2 36"long 16,000
#3 31"long 9,000
#4 36"long 11,000
#5 26"long 9,000
#6 27"long 9,000
#7 23"long 8,500
#8 27"long 10,000
Are these Ok readings one I a little leary about #2 a little high

#12 ·
Analog VOM resistance readings are sensitive to the condition of the batteries in your meter, and whether its zeroed properly before you start.

Based on your measurements I don't think you have any bad wires, but only the manufacturer of the wires can tell you the normal range.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.