Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, sorry for my poor English. :(

I'm from Brazil and have been trying to understand the difference between "Engine" and "Motor". What is the difference between them?

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
Pasadena nailed it right on the head as far as I am concerned. :thumbup: The only motors on a car are the starter motor and the fan motors. :D

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I always thought a motor converted energy to motion and an engine converted fuel to motion, but high school physics was a really long time ago.

Although in the hot-rod and fresh-water marine worlds the terms historically tend to be used interchangeably in reference to the main propulsory engine.

·
Registered
639 Posts
jimfulco said:
I always thought a motor converted energy to motion and an engine converted fuel to motion, but high school physics was a really long time ago.

Although in the hot-rod and fresh-water marine worlds the terms historically tend to be used interchangeably in reference to the main propulsory engine.
In an internal combustion engine, isn't oxgen the fuel and petrol/diesel/lpg/cng just a catalyst which, like accetelene in a blow torch, allows the burning of oxygen to do work?
Sorry for being pedantic, but 100+ years ago there were hot air engines. Also, when cutting steel if the work is hot enough and the speed constant, you can turn off the accetelene and continue cutting just on the heat in the steel.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Oxygen and fuel are combined chemically in a reaction that gives up heat. The heat increases the pressure of the gases above the piston, which causes it to be pushed toward the crankshaft, etc., etc., etc. A catalyst is not used up in a reaction, as are the fuel and oxygen.

When you're cutting, I guess there's enough heat from oxidation of the hot steel to keep the area melted, so the oxygen jet can keep blowing right through it. I've experienced something like this a few times with a hand-held torch, but I think it's more accident and blind luck than anything remotely resembling skill on my part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
USA1 said:
Harley Davidson Enginecycles? Get on your bad engine scooter and ride? Engineboats? I'm sorry I guess I'm just being an Enginemouth. :thumbup:
My brother-in-law and I have this argument all the time. I usually give him grief about the motor oil in the garage or the Motor Trend magazines on the bench.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was going to say you don't need a grant, just a dictionary....I went to dictionary . com and they have it wrong!!!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/engine
1. a machine for converting thermal energy into mechanical energy or power to produce force and motion.

THAT IS AN ENGINE!!!!

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=motor

1. a comparatively small and powerful engine, esp. an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.

THAT IS AN ENGINE!!! :spank: :spank: :spank:

Had better luck at wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine

an engine turns thermal energy into mechanical energy while a motor turns potential energy into mechanical energy

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree that electrically powered variants are motors and combustion therefore are engines. It is interesting to note though that the English refer to everything as "motas".The whole vehicle is a "mota". Example would be,"what type of mota do you drive?"

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
Post Number 2 answered the question as far as technically speaking goes.

The motorcycle comment was good though. To add to that: A motorcycle has either a 2 or 4 cycle Engine. It gets weird doesn't it?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Morphus, it gets waaaaaaay more confusing....the english language is so bad for "ambiguous"

goooogle is a search "engine".....
you can have a "engine" of war like a scaffold on wheels to scale a wall.....
a locomotive is called an "engine", is a engine a locomotive?....
you go to the "motor" vehicle dept to buy a license plate because the vehicle is "self propelled" and requires a tag whether it is internal combustion, hybrid or electric......
you can "motor" along on a highway......in anything, peddle power, wind power,

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Isn't the English (American) language fun - even native English speakers get confused. Words like LEAD drive people like Morphus who has English as a second language nuts:

Lead the horse
Lead the body panel

Spelled the same, pronounced differently and with way different meanings. I would imagine Brazillian Portuguese has some tough words as well - Morphus, if we don't understand you, we'll ask you to try it again.

Even the English sometimes have trouble with American ! :sweat:

I remember my walks on Rio's Avenida Atlantico at the beaches - and the ladies in string bikinis. Tiny enough to mail with US 1st class postage. :nono: :nono:

Dave

·
Registered
100 Posts
The current terminology of gMc and bMw are correct. all engines are motors so to say General Motors is correct as would General Engines also have been. BUT if they only made electric motors they could not have called themselves General Engines.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.