Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 1965 Buick Special I am going to do a gear and carrier swap. Currently has 3.08 and an open carrier.

I called quick performance and getting the components they informed me that only the chevrolet vehicles received C clip but BOP got bolt in axles and they require a different carrier.

Without pulling the rear cover and pulling the drum brakes all apart is there any way to tell for sure?

Here are some pics I took from behind the brake drum. It sure looks like bolt in axles but I have never touched an 8.2" rearend before so wanted someone else who knows what they are looking at to confirm before I order parts.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Definitely a bolt in axle, that may be the Big Pontiac differential, it used a fill in the cover and not in the housing. Is a Buick special a fullsize car? I would get a gasket from a Pontiac axle for something like a 68 Firebird and hold it up to your housing to see if they are the same.
Parts for the big Pontiac are not available new.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
I believe the Buick Special is an A body car, which would have the 8.2 BOP 10 bolt. It looks like someone added that plug to the cover. Some of the Buick 8.2 rear ends had special axle bearings that are no longer available. Jim at www.jdrace.com is your man for the 8.2 BOP rear ends.

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the Buick Special is an A body car, which would have the 8.2 BOP 10 bolt. It looks like someone added that plug to the cover. Some of the Buick 8.2 rear ends had special axle bearings that are no longer available. Jim at www.jdrace.com is your man for the 8.2 BOP rear ends.
You are correct. I pulled the rear cover and confirmed there is a large gap between the axle ends and the cross shaft pin so its definitely.
I ended up ordering everything from quick performance for $575 this morning. Posi unit, gears, and rebuild kit.
I added the fill plug about 2 months ago when he asked me to change the fluid in the differential.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.