Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing the battery flush with the bottom of the frame, under the rear seat foor pan, on one of the rear legs of the central X-member. It will be subjected to indirect water splash from the rear wheels.

Other than possible corrosion, is there anything that can happen? The voltage isn't sufficient to short itself out, even with water on it.

I have no desire to install one of those large battery enclosures for a small group 75 battery.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
As a minimum, I'd coat the terminals liberally with grease/spray for battery terminals or even just Vaseline. You should also get rubber terminal covers, which are sold for various applications (marine use is probably the easiest to find).

Another consideration might be protecting the battery from physical damage. If the wheels throw water up on it, they might also throw gravel and road debris.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Install an Optima or other jel battery. These are corrosion free and will last a long time. With one of these batteries, if you are concerned with the terminals corroding, then enclose them with a liberal coat of silicone.

Trees

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery

I have a 46 Chevy Pickup and installed the battery on the frame rail behind the rt ft wheel. It gets everything the wheel throws @ it and I have had no problems since 2004. I use the truck almost everyday. Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.