Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I just rebuilt the suspension on my 70 convertible GTO. I've snugged everything down and still need to torque everything. I've read that the suspension should be "normalized and at height level prior to torquing" which I have taken to mean the car should be on it's wheels and maybe even driven a few miles prior to final torquing. Trouble is with the car on its wheels its not exactly easy to get under there and torque this stuff. I'm thinking of buying a set of ramps so I can get a little bit of space under there but still have the weight on the wheels. Any thoughts?

Mike

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,822 Posts
The idea is not too out the soft OEM bushing in a bind. In realty, much of the depends on the bushing material and whether the material will move or not. Poly stuff I wouldn’t worry about too much. Stock stuff, something close to ride height is plenty good enough.
As for the importance of all that, well, only about a zillion cars have has suspension work done and I have yet too see a job shop wrench monkey do it that way. Hell, it’s lucky to find one who uses a metered ratchet instead of a rattle gun. You’d think there would be more comebacks. Anyway, do it right at home, no need to stress over it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The idea is not too out the soft OEM bushing in a bind. In realty, much of the depends on the bushing material and whether the material will move or not. Poly stuff I wouldn’t worry about too much. Stock stuff, something close to ride height is plenty good enough.
As for the importance of all that, well, only about a zillion cars have has suspension work done and I have yet too see a job shop wrench monkey do it that way. Hell, it’s lucky to find one who uses a metered ratchet instead of a rattle gun. You’d think there would be more comebacks. Anyway, do it right at home, no need to stress over it.
You have been watching me, haven't you?
I'm from the show me state too!!!
But you give sound advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are numerous stories on many various sites that talk of the rubber bushings tearing. Prime cause was the suspension being at full drop when everything was tightened down. Get the car on the tires at ride height and then tighten the things up.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I made these blocks out of scrap wood after my friend built his house.
They work good for checking driveline angles, and measuring for drive shafts, Etc.
They would work good for your application too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts